Friday, January 10, 2014

NYC interview with a teacher.

Since returning home, I have definitely appreciated what i have more than ever before.  I love my family and snow in the yard and my comfy bed and beautiful Eau Claire tap water.  Additionally, I've been motivated to make my professional goal a reality after the interview I had with a self-made Manhattan Voice and piano teacher.
The interview yielded more information, controversies, and motivation than I ever expected; it was a life changing experience.  I say controversial, because the teacher I spoke to, although he's had formal education in his field, he has no credentials.  Originally from Wisconsin, he began teaching after high school at age 18 and informally studied piano at Lawrence Conservatory.  Soon after, he decided to enroll in classes but was eventually let go from the program from lack of engaging himself academically.  Continuing his piano studio, he auditioned and was accepted to the Cincinnati Conservatory of Music even after being released from Lawrence, where he began studies in Music History.  Additionally, he accompanied around 20 lessons a week and coached Musical Theater students in singing, gaining experience.  After a while at CCM, he discovered that Music History wasn't his calling, and after an inheritance, he travelled the world.  Upon his return, he moved to Manhattan and opened a studio where he now teaches a roster of 40 people, sings at a church gig and continues to take lessons himself with a MET singer, creating for himself a full time career from what he loves to do.
I asked him how he markets himself without an appropriate education and he replied, "There are many professors and teachers who have credentials that have taken years to obtain and, more than one Doctorate degree and field experience and expertise no one else can compete with, but that doesn't mean they are a good teacher.  I am a teacher first which makes me a student as well; I learn with my students and I pride myself in being a good teacher."  It was interesting to hear that, and although I agree with him to an extent, I believe both components necessary to be 100% successful;  to be a great teacher, you must have the credentials to prove what you say you can do, always remembering the importance of a teacher/student relationship.  Additionally, every teacher is different, no two teachers teach alike.
What was most impressive and impactful were think intricacies and details he had implemented into his studio to make his business successful.  I asked him how he keeps track of his students, upon which he showed us his calendar on his computer.  It was very intricate but user friendly and made me realize that I can do the same.  This led into a question about taxes, which he had another calendar for.  He told me that you can never be too detailed when organizing students, money, and scheduling; he organizes this aspect of his studio about 4 to 6 hours a week.  "If you find out later that you've been collecting too much information, you can always delete it; it's better than finding out later, that you didn't collect enough."
Most impactful were the numbers of books laying around his apartment, on the couch, dinner table, the three full bookcases, above the kitchen cabinets, underneath the bed in tubs, in his studio space on the piano, in the closet and filled on another bookcase.  I asked him about his collection and what he's currently reading which he mentioned reading new music theory books and one on teaching music theory successfully to reluctant students, as well as brushing up on his own theory.  You never stop learning, never.  Also surprising was the absence of a television; the man only reads.
A leaving thought he left me was to always market yourself, and remember that when you aren't trying to market yourself, others look at you like a poster; that your image is always at the forefront of others thoughts.  If you want to teach, then be a teacher.  Also tell people what you do and you will find students.  Look for students because sometimes people don't look for a teacher.
Currently, I am a contracted voice and piano instructor at music school in Eau Claire, but my goal one day, more clear to me than ever, is to begin my own studio and create a career with what I love doing.  I can't wait to make brochures!
Luke Otto

No comments:

Post a Comment