Sunday, January 5, 2014

So many amazing experiences

The past couple days have been packed with such amazing experiences. Yesterday we attended a Yoga for Voice session, which opened my mind to yoga and got me thinking about using my body and breathing when I play music. After that we met with extra chorister for the Met Abigail Wright. She had some great things to say about networking and life as a performer in NYC. Then it was off to Times Square to buy tickets to see another show. I ended up seeing Avenue Q, which was incredibly hilarious and I recommend it to everyone that enjoys a good laugh and great songs. The acting was incredible, as was the songwriting, the story, and the jokes. I know another music book I am buying when I get home now...


Today was a very interesting day. It started with a trek up to Harlem to attend Mount Neboh Baptist church, quickly followed by a trek back down to the hotel as they tried to charge us for admission. It was an interesting experience that brings up all sorts of questions and issues of diversity, lenses, discrimination, and religion. We later had a few people work with vocal coach David Sytkowski, originally from Wisconsin. He was great, it was great to observe him work with some singers. He had very insightful things to say about musicality and diction that was very interesting to me as a non-singer. And as a surprise, we were able to meet with Michael Fabiano, an up and coming tenor currently singing the role of Alfred in Die Fledermaus at the Met (which we will be seeing on Tuesday). Then tonight we saw the musical Fun Home at the Public Theater, which was quite amazing and a very emotional experience. The acting was so powerful, and it definitely made me cry.


I have been learning so much on this trip it's incredible, and a lot to take in all at once. After hearing so many musicals and being surrounded by such great singers and musicality, it has definitely affirmed that I for sure want to write in the opera/musical theater genre. The power of music to express drama, emotion, and the human experience is so great, and I want to be a part of that.

I am looking forward to getting an opportunity to work with Claudia Catania tomorrow. As a beginning singer getting to work with one of the greatest voice teachers in the world, I am overjoyed and so grateful for the experience (and also a little nervous). The rest of the trip shall be fun as well.

-Jordan

No comments:

Post a Comment