Thursday, February 20, 2014

Interview

When we were first asked to network in order to find people in New York, I immediately thought of my cousin who is a jazz singer that lives in Brooklyn and graduated from the Manhattan School of Music.  She was very helpful and directed me to one of her high school friends from Appleton, WI, Scott.  Scott currently has a full voice and piano studio in an apartment in Chelsea.  We chatted through Facebook messages and found a mutually agreeable time to meet, chat and learn from each other.  In his one bedroom apartment, he had his office/studio space in the only apparent bedroom with his bed in the dining room; it worked for him.  First, he gave me his background, where he was from, what he did, where he went.  He spent time studying at Lawrence Conservatory in Appleton and then transferred to CCM, the College-Conservatory of Music at the University of Cincinnati.  A death in his family soon left him with a large inheritance which he used to travel the globe for a year. Upon his return to the United States, he decided to continue his work in music and start his own studio in Manhattan.
Then I asked Scott how he first began attracting students and he said, "put your name out there".  At age 18, he went to all of the local piano stores who would receive potential students/customers inquiring about lessons, he hung up posters at these stores and talked with the clerks and within months he was turning students away from having a full studio.  Additionally, when he first moved to New York, he was finding small performance groups and really participating any way he could, in bars, clubs, churches, anywhere and people would approach him.  Word of mouth and putting yourself out there he said.
I was amazed by his book collection; in such a small apartment he had several stuffed bookcases and books on the kitchen cabinets, books open on the bed and on the dining table, on the ends of the couch, literally everywhere. I told him I was impressed and he explained to me that whenever a student asks him a question he doesn't know, he feels it's his responsibility to find that answer.  The day of my visit, he was rereading and freshening up on theory books for some students.  He then told me about one of his main areas of focus; how to incorporate music theory so it's fun and interesting, especially when students are reluctant or don't want to learn.  Additionally, his reading keeps him fresh and on his game with students.  He continues to read up-to-date articles and singing magazines.
Since our visit, I continue to follow his twitter page and facebook which are separate from his personal social media; he posts interesting, relevant and fun facts videos and interactive statuses to involve his students daily.  He is truly passionate and proactive.
Most curious to me was how he was able to manage an entire business in such a small space.  How does he track students, payments, schedules, taxes, business/living expenses; it all seemed too much for one man, and then he showed me his laptop.  Everything was color coded, dated, explicit and current.  His schedule was masterfully created, showing who he was teaching when for how long, if they paid, when they paid, student info and more.  Then he showed me his master page, how many lessons every person had, how long, when they began.  And all of this information was backed up onto an external hard drive every night.  I was impressed by how serious he treated his business and completely inspired and motivated.
After our meeting, he contacted me about a trial lesson while I was in New York, although we couldn't find a mutual time.  I continue to engage in social media with him and look forward to hearing from him.
Luke Otto

No comments:

Post a Comment