Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Drag Queens and Puppets

Friday night we saw an Off Broadway show called "Natasha, Pierre and the Great Comet of 1812" The music and the talent just blew me away. It was sort of a dinner theatre where we could order dinner and we were served appetizers. The show happened around us in all directions and the actors were so close and interacted with the audience. The music was also absolutely stunning, and I still have some of the songs stuck in my head. Before the show there was a drag queen walking around warming up the audiences, cracking jokes and talking with everyone. She asked me how old I am i responded, "20" and she yelled obscenities which I don't think I can write on here, basically saying "Live it up, I wish I were that age again." This really had an impact on me because back at school I have anxiety over the fact that I'm graduating in a year and a half, I just feel like I'm growing up so fast. This was a slap in the face saying settle down, you have so much time, it's okay if you don't know what you want to do the rest of your life right now. So far this was one of my favorite experiences. After we got to talk to Amber Gray one of the performers. She was incredibly nice and encouraging for us to move to the city and follow our dreams. 
Saturday morning we participated in "Yoga Voice." I will admit I was one of the skeptical ones but I did learn how involved your body has to be when you are singing. You need to stay grounded and make sure that you know how your body should be involved and get strength and power from it. It also felt really nice to be in a relaxed situation in New York City. Then We met with Abigail Wright, a chorister who sings at the Met. It was really great to hear how her schedule worked and the different types of contracts that the performers have.
That night we had a free night and Jess, Jordan and I went to see Avenue Q. I was a little skeptical about the puppet part and didn't know if it would be entertaining for me but I fell in love with it. It was hilarious and all the songs are still stuck in my head. I was so impressed with the performers, they all had multiple roles and different voices for each one, it was just so impressive! The next evening we saw a show called "Fun Home." I had no idea what to expect, all I knew going in was that it was an off-broadway musical and it was at the public theatre. It turned out to be the most heartbreaking musical I've seen and was such an emotional experience. As our group was walking out of the theatre there was not a dry eye. Literally everyone shed a tear. It was great to see such a huge variety in shows, there are so many different kinds and I think when people hear broadway they are expecting Phantom of the Opera and Les Miserables.  After seeing these shows I truly believe that anyone could find a show that is entertaining to them.

-Leah 

No comments:

Post a Comment