Thursday, January 2, 2014

What's happening?!

Well, the first day of the trip is coming to a close and a lot has happened with little time to soak it all up.  Part of my personal goal for this immersion has been to 'go with the flow', or so to speak.  In my everyday life, when stressful or difficult situations arise I almost always try to take charge and control the situation, which can end happily or horribly.  So to counterbalance my natural tendencies I wanted to challenge my type A characteristics and see if they could sit on the back burner while the situation fizzled out or someone else takes charge of the situation.  Like the outcome of taking control, after our New York excursions I've discovered that not taking control can be just as happy or horrible in the end.
It all began on the landing to LaGuardia Airport; the students were left to uncover the route to the hotel on their own, the most difficult part of our journey thus far.  Never having taken public transportation, allowing my peers to lead the way in such a stressful situation was very difficult for me.  By the second subway transfer however, I could not keep my mouth shut; I could have done one of two things, stepped back and listen to some incorrect and assuming bickering about directions, or add my two cents either being wrong and decisive and just as incorrect, or luckily right.  Fortunately, I spoke up and we didn't end up going in the opposite direction of our destination.
I've discovered that in order to succeed, we must rely on others, whether we are own intuitions are right or wrong; sometimes, two brains really are better than one, especially when personalities contrast(shout out to Leah!).
Additionally, listening to the New York Philharmonic was an invigorating and inspirational way to begin the trip.  Also, the food.
Luke Otto

No comments:

Post a Comment