Wednesday, January 8, 2014

The Last Day!

Today was our last day of activities on the 2014 UWEC New York City immersion trip.  The day started off with traveling to Brooklyn to perform for a performing arts high school.  Once we entered Brooklyn, I really liked the area.  I am from Menomonie, WI which is only about 30 minutes away from Eau Claire.  In comparison, the distance between the two boroughs was very similar, so it seems very homy to me.

I was very excited to sing for the students and felt very at home at the school since during the school year I spend approximately a third of my day in schools in the Eau Claire area.  The students were amazing!  Our concert was cut a little short because they were preparing for their The Wiz auditions, but the experience was still really fun.  I was initially nervous to sing today because the class we were performing for was a musical theatre class, but they were extremely supportive and I think they enjoyed us as much as we enjoyed performing for them.  It was also a treat because we got to watch their class as they worked on choreography.  The students picked it up really quickly, which I thought was really amazing.  During the experience, I felt that I learned just as much from them as they did for me.

Later in the day, I was thrilled to have the opportunity to observe at a charter school in Brooklyn   with a math teacher and a music teacher.  The experience was very interesting because it made me realize that I would really enjoy teaching in that environment.  The school structure was something that I was not used to so it was great getting that kind of experience so I knew what other kinds of schools are out there.  While observing I was also able see some great teaching tools and classroom management techniques that I will definitely be using in my classes at UWEC and in the schools.

On a separate note, while at dinner, my friend and I saw Andrew Garfield who played Spider-Man/Peter Parker in the Spider-Man reboot with Emma Stone.  We did not talk to him even though he was sitting at the next table because he looked busy, but it was still cool to see him in person!

After our celebrity "encounter," we then went to Pippin, which was amazing!  Honestly, we were very lucky to see a lot of amazing shows, but I feel confident in saying that Pippin is one of the best shows on Broadway right now.  The singing and acting was superb, but what more was the talent of the dancers and acrobats in the show.  I don't think I have ever been on the edge of my seat while watching a musical in my life and that was the case in Pippin!  I think that the show was also a great choice to go to as a group because most of us were fairly unfamiliar with the plot.  I was surprised to find out that I actually knew a few of the songs in the show.  Of all of the shows we watched, which includes Natasha, Pierre, and the Great Comet of 1812 (which was also extremely amazing and I haven't stopped listening to the soundtrack since), Newies, Fun House, Die Fledermaus, and now Pippin, I would say that Pippin was my favorite musical, while Fun House was my favorite overall.  In addition to broadway and off-broadway shows, we also went to the Village Vanguard and the New York Philharmonic, which were equally amazing.  In general, I am found that no matter where you look in this city, there is never a lack of talent.  I find that aspect of NYC very exciting but also potentially discouraging.  Although I am not going to be a professional performing, I can only imagine how difficult it is to "make it" with so many others competing against you.

Cory

No comments:

Post a Comment