Thursday, January 9, 2014

Am I really leaving?

I'm pretty much all packed to go back to good ol' Wisconsin, minus actually shutting my suitcase; that may pose a problem.
I really really loved my experience in NYC. It was a fantastic time and I'm so grateful that I have had this opportunity due to the generosity of the University. What a great week! I've learned so much about myself, one being that I think it is time for me to come to New York by myself. This is the second year that I have been on the trip, and I think I have enough networking to spend a week here with myself and maybe one other person and have a successful time. I can really see myself maneuvering the city by myself. This was a new personal goal for me that I didn't know I had until I got here, but I am so glad I discovered it! Knowing that I could do this alone is very liberating.
Another thing I tried to do on this trip was to find my place in this city and in this industry. While I don't feel like I completely figured that out, I do feel like I am more inspired to figure this out. Do I want to sing musical theatre or classical? Or both? Is it even possible? I have talked to many people on this trip including the performer I interviewed, asking them personally about their careers, and I have gotten many mixed answers. I'm still going to pursue my answer when I get home, and through out this semester. One thing I know I am inspired to do is to prepare myself the best I can for both careers; continuing to get classical training, but also dance, and more acting. This way I will be available and ready for all auditions. I'm really glad that I learned this.
I will be home in several hours, and i'm going to use the plane ride to ponder a lot of these things, as well as reminisce this perfect and wonderful trip that we've all embarked on together! It was a wonderful and fulfilling time in NYC.

Laura Schachner

No comments:

Post a Comment