Friday, January 3, 2014

Back in NYC

I'm still adjusting to the fast pace of NYC. It's hard not to get overwhelmed with all of the constant stimulus from the crowds of people, busy streets, and loud noises. One thing I am surprised by though is how much more calm I am getting around the city. The trip from the airport was so much easier than last time. Once I got to to the hotel I realized I forgot my make-up so I had to go to Walgreens and buy some new stuff, which reminded my of another thing-everything is so much more expensive in NYC. Mitra and Dr. Rieck then surprised us with tickets to the New York Philharmonic! It was a jaw dropping performance including contemporary music, which I loved and Tchaikovsky's Symphony no. 4, which was absolutely amazing. Today we started off the day with an interview with Caroline Worra. Caroline really put things into perspective for me and I really related to her. I learned that you need to find your strengths and embrace your individuality. I also learned that you don't need to be in a hurry. After that we went to a Paul Taylor dance company rehearsal. It was truly inspiring to see the talent and work ethic of the dancers. After that I went with a couple people to the New York Public Library. There was some beautiful artwork and research rooms inside. After that we went to times square and walked around a bit before heading to the Off-Broadway show “Natasha, Pierre, and the Great Comet of 1812”. It was an interactive show, so the audience sits at a table and can have food and drinks while the performers use the whole area to perform the musical. It was nothing like I've ever seen before and it was a really great experience! We even got to talk to one of the performers after!

Looking forward to tomorrow!

Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment