Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Four More Hours

In just a few hours I will be greeting the not oft visited time of 4am to get to the airport and depart for lovely New York City. This is always the worst part of the trip, because the nerves of going on your trip mix with the excitement and mix a cocktail of restlessness and not much sleep. I am greatly looking forward to this trip; I've only ever been to New York once, for a day, and so I have no idea what to really expect for a trip of this length or magnitude. Still, I welcome the uncertainty - it will make it a fun and enjoyable experience, I am sure.

By now I am all set for the trip: resume and headshots printed, bags packed, itinerary put into my calendar, and I have an interview set up with the composer George Lam at York College on Tuesday, which will be very interesting. Dr. Lam was referred to me by Chiayu Hsu, my comp professor at UWEC. If you get a chance, check out his website, he has done some cool things: http://www.gtlam.com/

At this point in my life I have experienced living on my own for a little bit, but still haven't experienced enough to really know where I want to go or what I want to do, so I am ready for this trip as a chance to really take in everything I possibly can and experience everything I can. I'm excited to see all the shows and I'm glad for a busy schedule, but also glad that we have substantial free time. I plan on utilizing it well. As a person who is very shy in new situations, this trip is a chance to try and free myself of my self consciousness and be open to trying new things, meeting new people, and making good first impressions. I am also glad to be going with such a great group of people. The amount of talent in this group is amazing, and it is a privilege to be included with them. I'm sure that I will learn as much from them as I will from being in NYC itself.

Now I might want to try and get some sleep before the flight. Less than twelve hours until the Big Apple.

- Jordan

No comments:

Post a Comment