Sunday, January 5, 2014

Half way mark.

I cannot believe it's already Sunday and that we'll be heading home to Wisco on Thursday; it's surreal.  So far, I discovered so many personal and professional things that it's hard to believe I can learn any more until the next activity or show proves otherwise.  New York is full of learning moments that are hard to ignore and thought provoking and controlling.
Yesterday morning, we had the opportunity to meet Mark, the founder of YogaVoice, and participate in his workshop on yoga and singing.  I think I was more skeptical than anyone else up until we started doing simple poses.  Learning the links between yoga and the body, and how it works with singing was relevant and informative beyond belief.  I had several 'light-bulb' moments within the two hour session that I immediately became a fan of the singing yogi.  Although this was intended as a professional activity, so many things that he said bled into everyone's personal life as well.  For me, the most helpful technique he taught us was simply 'listening first' before breathing, phonating, and so on.
Ending the night, I attended 'A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder' which was very light and comic despite the subject matter.  I was most impressed by the character who was responsible for several different characters; his mastery was astonishing and every single one of his portrayals was convincingly spectacular.
I look forward to working with David Sytkowski this afternoon, although I am just as nervous.  I have every confidence that he will benefit me in some shape or form, but what that is is still to come!
Luke Otto

No comments:

Post a Comment