Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Coming to a close

The last six or seven days have flown by.  I remember first coming to the city, and although I would argue at the time that I wasn't overwhelmed by the hustle and bustle, New York and this immersion experience has humbled that inner voice and I can say with confidence I was very stressed and overwhelmed.  Having gone through this experience has taught me so much about who I am, but most importantly, who I want to become.  We've just finished performing for a musical theater class in Brooklyn, which was rejuvinating and inspiring.  Dr. Rieck told us last night to, "Be prepared for the unexpected", which made me nervous at first.  After realizing how engaged the kids were and eager to hear us, it was so comforting and encouraging to do what we do; perform.  
Last night was my first time at the Metropolitan Opera which was life-changing.  Hearing and watching performers that are world class professionals was refreshing and soul satisfying.  I am humbled to say that I would never choose to do what they do; the amount of time, energy and enthusiasm for that profession is exhausting and daunting.  They truly are masters at their craft and convey it magically.  Having discovered this has confirmed and encouraged me to pursue what I thought was right, a path to opening my own private voice and piano studio.  I want to take my experiences, passions, and knowledge to inspire and motivate a younger generation of people to make a performing career a reality and additionally, to spread the performing arts specifically to kids on an individual level.  
With the help of Logan Tracy, who I wouldn't have met if it wasn't for this trip, and Scott Wesley Hawley, a teacher who is running his business very successfully, I have the confidence, know-how, and resources to begin working towards my goal as a professional.  
Personally, I have discovered things about my personality and demeanor that before I would have had difficulty pinpointing.  New York is a place to discover the individual self and I will never forget that.  I have been reminded how important my family is to me; I've missed my wife and son very much and CANNOT WAIT to see them tomorrow.  However, New York is a wonderful place, full of culture and diversity that I want to show and share with my family one day.  
Loving Life,
Luke Otto

No comments:

Post a Comment