Thursday, January 2, 2014

Hello again NEW YORK CITY

I cannot believe that a year has passed already since I went on this Immersion trip last time. I am very fortunate to be able to travel again on this immersion experience.

Last year I was extremely excited to arrive in NYC, yet kind of nervous to venture off into the "Big Apple". I was nervous because it was the first trip on my own, and my first time flying! The trip was a great learning experience and put me at ease and ready for the second time around!

The first time on this trip I went to New York City with kind of specific goals however today my goals have twisted and turned... I went from wanting to live in NYC, to now realizing that I love it but I want to find out ways to keep in my life, but not make it "my life". Having the initial experience gives me insight and direction to where I need to look next. I am planning to meet with a concert pianist and I am hungry with questions.

My expectations:
I want to enjoy the city even more. Last year everything was so new, I let the smallest things get to me... For example, the constant sound of sirens roaming the city. I also expect to carry myself more confidently in the city.

I am looking forward to:
  • The vast assortment of entertainment around me
  • Trying new food
  • Making music with my peers
  • Learning even more about our group
  • ALL OF OUR EVENTS
  • The spontaneity of the city, and adapting to changes



Here are my revised and focused questions this year:

Professional:
  • How can I tactfully and intelligently fuse classical music with a pop flavor and be successful at performing/ maybe printing it? What legal issues could arise?
  • What does it take to be endorsed by a company? How could I become a Steinway artist?
  • How do you make it to big venues such as Carnegie Hall?

 

Personal:

  •  Should I be considering grad school or should I dive right into pouring all of my energy to get noticed and ready to perform?
  • If I were to become very well known, how do I stay sane and not let fame eat me up or change me?
  • What are things I can do now to become finance/business savvy and able to promote myself out of college? (Perhaps learn as much as I can about the music business and have all my plans and backup plans ready to go by the time I graduate.)
These were my old ones:

-Professional Objectives:

·         How can I market myself/ self-promote my career to a giant city like NYC?

·         How can I incorporate NYC into my career without living there? If I want to be associated with NYC will I need an agent/ employees based in NYC?

 

-Personal Objectives:

·         If I had my career associated with NYC would I exhaust my energy from the city?

·         What is a reasonable timeline for my career/marriage/family plan?
 
NEW YORK CITY: Here I come!
 
Sincerely,
Kayla shoemaker
 

No comments:

Post a Comment