Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Composers Galore

Day six has been completed! It's a late night here in NYC, we got back from the Metropolitan Opera pretty late. Today was a wild day. I think it was crazy because I didn't realized just how booked it was until I experienced going to all the events. This morning we had "the Hustle" With Logan Tracey. She was extremely helpful in telling us all about the business side of being in the field. There were so many things I hadn't ever given much thought to--you are your own brand. This is definitely food for thought as I venture into second semester. I am going to practice a lot of the things we learned in preparing for my senior recital! Shortly after Jordan and I were off to Jamaica, Queens to interview Dr. George Lamb met with us where he teaches at York College. We really focused on talking about the process of writing opera, from picking a story to set to producing it. I have never heard anyone talk about that before so I feel so much more informed now that I know more about just how lengthy the process of composing opera is! Then we hopped back on the subway south which took about 45 minutes and then we were off to the lincoln center where we met Danny Felsenfeld. We had a really great talk with him over the hour that we had we covered everything from having a family while being a working composer and author to opera to what keeps him in NYC after 15 years. I feel so lucky to have met both of these amazing people and look forward to keeping in touch with them. We ended the night with Die Fledermaus at the Met. It was a beautiful show, the new translations and rewrites were interesting. I'm not sure how I feel about that aspect yet, I am still processing it. Thats all for now folks!

Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment