Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Terrific Tuesday-One Day Behind

Tuesday was another great day in NYC.  Slept like a log in my room which faces the street--I'm getting used to the constant noise of the city.  All the walking during the day also helps put me to sleep quickly each night. My dear friend Caroline Worra drove down from da Bronx after getting in from a "Nozze" gig in El Paso, TX late the night before.  She met with the group at our hotel from 9-12 and was so incredibly informative, inspiring, straight-forward, and wise.  She told us her story growing up in Wisconsin, being a piano major in college, then on to grad school in voice, young artist programs, the transition to NYC (make sure you have a community of people you trust to live near you and support you), the launching of her career, and the importance of being a good colleague.  She was such an inspiration to the students--I have been an admirer of Caroline since even before we were in undergrad together and she remains that same fun, wildly talented person she always was.

Caroline and I in the lobby of our hotel


After the talk, a group of students, Caroline, Ken, and I walked around the area looking for a restaurant.  We settled on a vegetarian Indian place and the food was divine and in VERY large portions.  We all ate until we were stuffed and Caroline talked with us for two more hours about such varied things as how to trill, what height of character shoes she wears, her interest and success with contemporary music, and recital dresses.  I went to TKTS and got tickets for Jordyn and I to see "Porgy and Bess" (and I saw the naked cowboy in Times Square!). Caroline and I then drove out to the Bronx so I could see her apartment and Kreg, her fiancee, who I also know from grad school.  I saw the river, lots of traffic, and Throggs Neck which I really liked.  After a diet Dr. Pepper, they drove me to the subway station and I took the subway back into town. It took about an hour, and it was an easy commute.  I hiked it through Grand Central Station and down to the Richard Rodgers theatre where we took in "Porgy and Bess."  I felt like I was going to cry when I saw the dreaded white slip of paper in the program that said Audra McDonald wasn't singing, but I did very much enjoy the show despite my original letdown.  The man who plays Porgy was wonderful, as was the whole cast, frankly.  A wonderful staging which included some great dance from the chorus, excellent voices, and of course a fantastic score.  It did make me realize anew the difference in quality of Gershwin's score and that of many contemporary musicals.

We waited by the stage door and spent quite a bit of time talking to the man who played Crown, Phillip Boykin.  We also met Nikki Renee Daniels--both are pictured below with Jordyn, Steph, Emily, Nicole, and Britney.


 He was so personable and signed all our programs (I actually purchased a program signed by the entire cast including Audra).

Getting an autograph

We briefly met the Bess understudy who went on tonight, as well as Porgy who was affable and signed autographs.  We then met up with a few other students and went to Lindy's for cheesecake. I had cherry cheesecake and decaf and it was delicious!

Times Square with the ladies
Jordyn's shake at Lindy's

Some trouble getting home on the subway (will I/we never learn?!??!) and everyone was checked in and in their rooms by the time we got back.  I think everyone, including me, is getting a bit tired but I think we are all over the moon about how the trip is going.

More soon-
Mitra

No comments:

Post a Comment