Friday, March 23, 2012

Last day...

Unfortunately this has been my first chance to blog and we leave in about 4 hours! We have been so incredibly blessed to have all of the amazing opportunities that we've had on this trip. I'm having a hard time processing it all! I feel slightly overwhelmed with everything we've done, but I also feel very inspired and encouraged. As the only Music Education major on the trip I've been wondering how much I can really do in addition to my teaching career. Is it possible to teach and perform? How do you balance that? So many of the people we've met here have had unusual and varied paths to get where they are at today, and they've all been extremely welcoming and encouraging. We've met a number of people who are doing any combination of teaching, performing (theatre, dance, opera, musical theatre, etc.), or conducting. Rather than narrowing down my focus, this trip has really shown me how many opportunities are available. As Logan Tracey said to us today (in a marketing class specifically for performers), it's all about the choices you make. You keep re-inventing yourself, continuing to learn and better yourself as a musician, performer, and person. The performances we have seen here have been absolutely incredible, but the best moments I've had have been with all the people we've met, and the realization that we have this entire future that we can create. Most importantly however, is the realization that we will each create our own paths, and we will probably end up somewhere better than we ever expected.

-Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment