Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Day Three- Another Great Day

I had lots of plans this morning to go out for coffee and bagels and the farmer's market but ended up staying in my room working on some arrangements for the immersion class.  Jordyn and Abby brought me a bagel with cream cheese though, and it was delicious!  Funny story--yesterday at Lincoln Center I saw that my college friend Rob Kleinendorst was one of two dancers featured on the huge Paul Taylor dance company poster.  It was cool to see him up there, and I shared some of his story with the students (working his way up through Paul Taylor dance classes, Taylor 2, and now being the poster boy for the main company), who really want to meet him.  So, I tracked down his email address and he will meet with us on Thursday afternoon!  How awesome.  Rob and I were in the musical "Chicago" back at Luther so we've been friends for a long time.

At 11:30 we walked down to Chelsea Studios where we had a fantastic masterclass with Claudia Catania until 3:00.
Claudia and I met in the 2011 Summer NATS Intern where she was a master teacher and I was the site coordinator

She had excellent technical and practical advice for each of the 10 students who sang for her, and answered at least one question that each student had.
With Steph

The amazing Ben Houghton
Jordyn
Abigail

Tomas
Emily
Evan 
                                                 The UW-Eau Claire 12
The amazing Claudia Catania
Leisa


Meagan
Nicole

She was truly a master in her masterclass, which we all know is not always the case.  The accompanist, Ben Houghton, is a young singer/actor/dancer who is auditioning and working in music theatre and also plays a mean piano.  He will be a great resource for the students if and when they decide to move to NYC.

Walked around with Meagan, Abby, and Jordyn enjoying the absolutely splendid weather.  Ate in a diner with a charming, wry, witty waiter who seemed to take a shine to Abby :)  I had hungarian goulash, which was nummy.  We sat outdoors, and the smell from the flower shop next door kept wafting over- such a perfect setting.
Meagan and me


The four of us went to Central Park--I had never actually been inside the park before and there were lots of families, dogs, canoodling, and sporting events going on.  Huge old trees, daffodils just blooming, nice breeze.  A very relaxing open space in the middle of the bustle and noise of the city.

Strolled down 5th and Madison Avenues and did some window shopping.  Walked past Carnegie Hall and wished that I could fit in a concert.  My friend Nancy and I have idly talked about coming next season for some of the fabulous voice recitals they have lined up, so maybe then.

Three of our group then went to a concert at Carnegie Hall (with John Rutter conducting) and ten went to "Avenue Q" on off-Broadway.  I had already seen the musical, so I went to TKTS and decided to get a ticket for "Ghost."

  Yes, based on the movie.  And, it was actually very nice.  The music was OK, the singing good, the acting good, the staging effective, and the special effects absolutely incredible.  Body doubles appearing out of nowhere, the leading man walked through a wall, slow motion flying objects that really did not appear to be on fly lines, extensive projections, and a loud, loud, loud pit.  Jordyn and Abby came and picked me up so that I didn't have to go back to the hotel alone (we have a buddy rule- everyone has to go everywhere in at least groups of 2).  We got back late--I am having a bit of trouble with going the wrong direction on the subway, which I'm trying to laugh about.

Short group meeting where everyone looked extremely tired, and then I stayed up chatting with Britney, Tomas, and Steph until past 1:00.  I really am enjoying getting to know all the students a bit more personally.

Fell asleep while typing this post, so I actually finished it on Tuesday.

Again, I became even more aware of the fast pace of the city, but am learning that there are places of quiet and even solitude in the city if you know where to go.  People are generally interested in helping you out if you ask for it.  The food is excellent and there are so many choices.  The architecture is amazing (we went into St. Paul's cathedral briefly- holy tamale!), the blatant wealth staggering, and the cultural variety stimulating.

I love NYC!
Mitra







No comments:

Post a Comment