Wednesday, March 21, 2012

The Met (Again!)

Today was another interesting day!! This morning we met with Mr. P's friend Naomi Ruiz. She talked to us about the path her life as an artist has taken and offered her own advice. I found it extremely interesting that in her undergrad, she was also a McNair scholar. It was really interesting having her tell Abby and I about her experiences in the McNair program and the aspects of it that help her in a singing career. One of the interesting things she said that I had never thought about before was that you'll get the performances that you're meant to get. It seemed so perfect to hear right before finding out I was accepted into a summer program. I (along with Britney, Emily, and Nicole) will be going to the Johanna Meier Summer Opera Institute!

 After that, Emily, Meagan, and I went to go see Mary Poppins , which was incredible. Somehow I managed to get a seat in the first row of the orchestra section. I loved it - I was practically in the actors' laps! It was interesting to be able to see how they do some of the effects and how the set and costumes were done. I ended up sitting next to two adorable little girls with their dad. It turns out they're from the city, so of course I had to say I was from WI and ask about their favorite things to do. (Apparently my life will not be complete without going to the American Girl Doll store and the Disney store. :)I might agree.) Anyway, I loved the show. The dancing was impeccable - especially all the tap during "Step in Time."

The MET!!
 Then we went to the Met to see L'elisir d'amore with Diana Damrau and Juan Diego Florez. The singing was divine, and I loved the show. It did not seem like a show that lasted almost three hours. I was that drawn into the show! The coolest part was hanging out at the stage door. We ended up getting to meet Diana Damrau! We talked to her and she paid attention to us because we talked to her about her art instead of just "you're so beautiful and made me cry." We told her we were students and did Magic Flute last year and told her our roles. She's done all three of the female roles!! We were so excited to be able to not only get her autograph, but a picture and the chance to talk to her! I was struck by how she paid attention to us because we told her we were students, instead of just "oh, I cried during the whole show."  There are so many people willing to talk to us and help us because we are students and we care about the art.  It's amazing how many nice singers there are out there!!!!

 Only two more days to go. I don't want to leave!!!


 Jordyn

No comments:

Post a Comment