Monday, March 19, 2012

Still Catching up... Day 2 & 3.

We've just finished another incredible day in NYC!  But first, let me back up and report on yesterday - Sunday, 3/18!  We began the day attending a church service at St. Thomas Episcopal Church - what an experience!  The music was stunning.  I almost felt guilty that I hadn't bought a ticket to hear this music done at such a high level.  We then met with a friend and colleague of Dr. Sadeghpour's, John Howell.  He led a very informative Q & A session with the students about making a life as a singer in New York through church jobs, opera chorus, and other freelance singing jobs both solo and choral.  I think it was really great for the students to see that there are many different paths and ways to have a career in music.  He also cleared up many of the mysteries of "networking" in the music world, which was of great relief to many of the students.  
After our meeting with Mr. Howell, we were off to the Met again to hear the Metropolitan Opera National Council finals!  We had another encounter with Mr. Terfel - who recognized us as we were walking up through the plaza of Lincoln Center.  This man is truly one of the opera world's superstars, and it was flattering to say the least that he recognized us and approached our group!  The competition was wonderful, and it was exciting to hear the competitors sing their hearts out for the packed house.  While I enjoyed the singing, I continue to be amazed by the Metropolitan Opera Orchestra - what musicians!  They were incredibly versatile, switching between Handel and John Adams in a matter of minutes, and almost sounding like a completely different ensemble.  It was a real lesson in musical style and sensitivity to the music.   I also loved the energy in the air I felt sitting up in the Family Circle.  I've always been told that the Family Circle section is where the real opera lovers sit - and it was thrilling to be one of them!  
We had some free time after the concert, so I took an opportunity to meet up with some Jazz friends of mine, Grammy-nominated pianist and singer Eliane Elias, bass player Marc Johnson, and singer Amanda Brecker.  We had a wonderful authentic Italian meal at Pizza Fresca.  Afterwards I went to Marc and Eliane's beautiful apartment the East River where we had a great jam session.  While I love singing opera and classical music, one of my other passions is performing the Great American Songbook, and it was a lot of fun to make music with these world-class musicians.  I also got to sight-read one of Eliane's new songs she had composed - such a beautiful piece, and it was an experience I'll never forget!
So Day 3 - Tomas Dominguez and I left early to travel down to TriBeCa and wait for it, see the fire house that was used in the Ghostbusters movie!  We walked around the area for a bit, and then headed up to Union Square to see the farmers market, which had an amazing selection of fruit, vegetables, flowers, meat, and yes, cheese!  (We didn't buy any cheese out of respect for the state of Wisconsin!)  We then met up with the rest of the group for our master class with Claudia Catania.  What a wonderful experience!  She is an incredible teacher and person, and one could not help but be inspired by her love of beautiful singing and passion for teaching.  I love watching seasoned professionals teaching voice - I learn so much both as a singer and a teacher from them, and I can't wait to get back into the studio next week and use some of the techniques she used in the master class. (Except I do want the rest of this week to go slowly - I'm having a great time!)  After the master class, Leisa, Emily, Tomas and I headed uptown to the Natural History Museum, which was wonderful and a nice change from all of the musical and theatrical events on our schedule.  We then had dinner at Angelo's, another wonderful Italian restaurant, and then Leisa, Tomas and I continued on to Carnegie Hall for a concert with the New England Symphonic Ensemble conducted by composer John Rutter!  It was a wonderful program of Elgar, Beethoven, and of course Rutter.  The orchestra was incredible - incredibly energetic and musical.  The second half of the concert was John Rutter's Magnificat.  The chorus was made up of choirs from all over the country, including two from Wisconsin!  It was exciting to hear that wall of sound coming towards you!  This was Leisa, Tomas and my first experience at Carnegie Hall and I'm sure it will live on in our memories for many years to come!  

Whew!!!  Well I'm caught up now - I can't believe how much wonderful music I've heard, and all of the wonderful art and exhibits I've seen in two and a half days!  I'm very much looking forward to the rest of the week - but I better get to bed now so I have the energy to keep up this pace!

All the best,
Mr. P

No comments:

Post a Comment