Monday, March 19, 2012

Catching Up!!! Day 1.... Day 2 and 3 soon to follow!

Hello all,
I'm sorry I've been quiet on the blog posting front - but I've been busy soaking in absolutely everything I can in NYC!   This is my first trip to the city where I actually get to enjoy the city.  Typically I've flown in and out for auditions, staying with friends an hour away in New Jersey, worried about finding a place to warm-up, getting to the audition, singing, etc... So it has been WONDERFUL to be able to slow down (slightly) and explore the city with the students on this trip.  So that being said - here's a quick run-down of highlights from the first day - I'll get caught up on the rest this evening!

Saturday, March 17th:  ST. PATRICK'S DAY - I think the most daunting task was the very first thing we had to do:  get from La Guardia Air Port to our hotel using public transportation.  This is complicated enough with 12 excited students, but throw in the suitcases and the St. P-Day celebration - I was fearing the worst!  Fortunately, we made it with no problems (even negotiated an unschedule train change), and didn't lose any luggage (or singers!) in the process.  After leaving our bags at the hotel, I with a few others booked it over to the TKTS booth in Times Square.  I opted to go to see Alan Rickman in a new comedy entitled, "Seminar."  I thoroughly enjoyed it.  The play was about four aspiring young authors meeting with Alan Rickman's character to read through their work and give them feedback, which was not always positive, and often times hilarious for the audience.  Overall, it was about fostering young talent and being a mentor - which struck a chord in me as a teacher.   After a fast dinner, a few of us were off to the MET where we met up with a friend and singer colleague of mine, tenor Adam Diegel.  Adam is in his 2nd season at the Met, and he took us backstage where we met bass-baritone Bryn Terfel in his dressing room before the performance.  We also got a quick tour of the backstage area.  I've been backstage before at the Met, and it was fun for me to see the excitement of the other group members experience this for the first time.  The performance was wonderful - and Mr. Terfel was excellent as Leporello.  It's always very special to attend a performance at the Met, but this experience has been even more special since I'm sharing it with these students.

MORE TO COME!!!
Mr. P

No comments:

Post a Comment