Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Back to Before...Steph is backtracking, so don't get confused!

It is indeed Wednesday night/Thursday morning, but I am going to confuse everyone by going back to the very beginning and attempt to catch up on this blogging thing. 

Getting there:
     After a very busy week of school Spring Break showed up out of nowhere.  I went to Chipotle for the first time ever, printed some headshots and stayed the night near the airport with Evan, Meagan, Thomas, and Anthony.  (Not yet) bright and early we drove to the airport and were officially on our way to NYC!  Honestly, I was half asleep for the whole flight so nothing eventful happened...but had something terrible occurred I was sitting by the emergency exit ready to save lives. 

Once we had all retrieved our luggage I had the privilege of taking a taxi to the hotel with Mitra while the rest of the group navigated the public transport.  Though we weren't able to check in early as expected we did get a head start on planning activities for the day.  After the rest of the group made it to the hotel we were free to go wherever we wanted to - in groups of two or more.  I found myself wading through a sea of green St. Patrick's day celebrants with Mr. P and Mitra to the tkts booth in Times Square. 

Broadway!
     Completely to my astonishment, Mitra agreed to see Spider-Man: Turn off the Dark with me.  And it turned out to be a good choice; the show was better than I'd anticipated and the theater itself was gorgeous.  In my opinion much of the music left something to be desired.  The biggest distraction was the awkwardly written lyrics which were also at times hard to distinguish.  I found the music worked best when the words were simple and repetitive so the acting and spectacle were able to shine through.  The show didn't follow the movie as I had expected, but reflected the traditional comics.  I really liked that it began with the myth of Arachne and weaved her into the story as a sort of spiritual guide for Spider-Man.  The show is worth seeing for the spectacle alone!!!  There were some absolutely breathtaking moments including the transformation of Arachne into a spider, Peter bouncing around the walls of his room, and Spider-Man swinging/flying all over the place.  It was a great start to the trip!

We had some difficulty meeting up with Mr. P due to a misunderstanding of location, but it was a great excuse for me to climb on some scaffolding to see over the crowds.  Eventually we found each other and rejoined the group for dinner. 

Back at the hotel I spent the rest of the night chatting/discussing various life issues with Emily, Nicole, and Britney.  It was wonderful bonding time, but looking back I see it now as the starting block for a trail of deep questioning and discovery that continues to color my experiences on this trip. 

To top it all off we made sure to watch Saturday Night Live.  It just seemed extra special to watch while in NYC! 

No comments:

Post a Comment