Monday, March 26, 2012

Back to Reality: Reflections in the Midwest



Back to Reality: Reflections in the Midwest

Why hello bloggers/Blog Followers!  It's Marie here.  You could say I'm the "oddball" of the group who wants to pursue a career in musical theatre.  And just like leisa, this is my first blog.  There was just so much that I wanted to experienced during in NYC during the day that I would crash at night to prepare for another early morning.  I needed to take time to process everything That I experienced on this trip!  I brought back notebooks filled with tips and advice from Auditions to Apartment hunting.

Today was our first day back at school, and I couldn't concentrate all morning.  All I could think of was New York and How Much I missed it.  I miss the buildings, the food, the people, and knowing that whatever I wanted was just a short walking distance away.  The last time I was in New York City I was an eleven years old and I hated it.  I was terrified of everything new that I didn't quite understand.  Nine years later I can't enough of it!

I Never expected to learn as much as I did during this immersion experience.  I got the chance to work with the incredible Claudia catania, (who has performed on Broadway and at the Met, and now runs a private studio in NYC) through our master class and a private voice lesson in her upper west side Apartment!  She fully believes that anyone who has the passion and the work ethic can make it in this cut throat business.  she encourage me to come back to New York and give it my all.  I also had the chance to do a phone interview Liz Holtan.  She had to   She is a Wisconsin native that resides in New York and is now making her way in the television/film business.  Something she said really hit home with me.  When we dive into performing as a professional, we will be doing a lot of auditioning, and hopefully getting a few callbacks.  When deciding on whether to take a job or not, we should be asking ourselves three questions:  Does it pay well?  Will it advance my career? Is this job going to be artistically fulfilling?

Before this trip, I had questions about this industry that I never thought I would find the  answer to until I experienced it myself.  My musical theatre ambitions were only a dream that seemed so far away.  I am elated to say now that I finally got every one of those questions answered.  I not only brought back notebooks filled with tips and advice: I brought back a new fire.  I will do anything to get myself back to New York.  All my fears and doubts have been replaced with more determination and goals.  I have already began compiling a summer program that would help me in my career goals.  

This trip went beyond my expectations!  I can't thank everyone who was involved enough for giving all of us this opportunity!  Thank you to my incredible voice teacher/mentor, Mitra for writing the grant and making this all happen.  Thank you to my 11 other college peers for the fond memories.  Every single person that we interviewed and met with all said the same thing when we explained the purpose of our trip: "I've never heard of anything like this before!  I wish I had this opportunity when I was your age!"


Until we meet again, New York.  Until we meet again.

Marie


        
      


No comments:

Post a Comment