Sunday, March 25, 2012

Back to Wisconsin

This morning, I woke up to birds chirping outside my window instead of taxis honking. I woke up not being able to breathe or see because of allergies. I woke up breathing fresh air instead of smog. Life is all about trade-offs, whether the trade-off is work vs. free time, money vs. happiness, country vs. city, single vs. relationship. No matter what you choose, don't justify your choices to anyone, especially to yourself. Do what makes you happy at the time; that is how you will find success for yourself.

I cannot thank Mitra enough for writing this grant. This week-long experience has been more life-changing than I ever thought possible. I had the opportunity to meet so many people that are living lives in the arts. Some of these meetings were planned. Some of them were happenstance. On our last day in Manhattan, my two friends and I were looking at an overpriced menu with another woman who happened to be an actress from Brooklyn. We got lunch together and made a connection. I'm not going into life "networking." Instead, I'm going into life making and sustaining friendships.

I had never seen musical theatre as a viable option if I did not start dancing as a toddler. As I was proved wrong over and over and over AND OVER again on this journey through New York life, I have decided to be happy (And let me tell you, being happy is a decision you have to make every day.). After graduation, I'm moving to New York to pursue musical theatre. No one can tell me that I can't do it. No one needs to know why this is my decision. I am a singer. I'm not "trying" to be a singer. I already am one. My life was beginning to change as soon as I arrived in NY. For me, Derek James was the first person that made me realize that I could do anything I set my mind to. So thank you, Derek. Thank you everyone I have met, built a relationship with, bumped into on the street. Believe it or not, you have all changed my life. I have a long road ahead of me, but it is a road worth traveling. Like any road, I know there will be bumps along the way, eventual tolls I have to pay, rests I need to take, but that's how you get to see all the attractions along the way. I can hardly wait for my road to lead me back to the big city.

Until the next wayside,

~ Nicole A. Korbisch

No comments:

Post a Comment