Thursday, March 22, 2012

Day 6.... can't believe tomorrow's our last day!

Hello again!
What can I say?  It was another great day.  We began with a very informative meeting with Ken Benson, who was with Columbia Artists Management Inc (CAMI) for twenty-five years.  He shared so much valuable information about auditions, competitions, selecting arias, working with managers, young artist programs... well just about everything one needs to know about this business!  He then joined us for lunch at one of his favorite NY pizza restaurants, John's Pizza.  It was an excellent recommendation, and it was fun getting to ask him even more questions!
After lunch the group split up in various ways, and I wandered over to the Museum of Modern Art (MoMA).  I saw so many great works of art  - pieces by Monet, Frida Kahlo, Diego Rivera, Matisse, Picasso, Van Gogh (Starry NIGHT!!!), Chagall, and one of my favorites Kandinsky (among many others)!  There was also a very interesting special exhibit, a retrospective of photographer Cindy Sherman.  It was a fascinating body of work - Ms. Sherman serves as her own model, make-up artist, costumer, hairstylist, well - you name it - she does it!  I was particularly intrigued by her "film stills" collection, in which she dresses up and poses to represent various female archetypes from the world of film.
After MoMA, I met up with another dear friend and mentor of mine, soprano Sylvia McNair.  We had a wonderful meal at a great French Restaurant, Le Bonne Pain, and it was great to catch up with this incredible person!   (She also gave me two copies of her recently released recording of Latin-American Love Songs - I can't wait to listen to it!)
I then walked up to Alice Tully Hall at Lincoln Center for the Julliard Vocal Arts Recital.  It was a wonderful concert, and I loved the repertoire each singer performed.  I particularly enjoyed a set of Japanese Art Songs the baritone sang - such lush, beautiful music.
After the recital, I joined Evan, Marie and Meagan for a quick trip to the Magnolia Bakery.  It was another sinful culinary discovery!  I decided to walk all the way back to the hotel tonight (about 40 blocks) to try to make up for all of the delicious food.  One can hope!
Alright, off to bed so I can rest and make the most out of our last day!
Mr. P

No comments:

Post a Comment