Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Lessons Learned:

Yesterday, I learned three very valuable lessons.

Lesson #1: Water fountains are few and far between here in NYC. I am used to drinking a small lake every day, so my body is extremely confused right now.

Lesson #2: If you swipe your Metro card and then decide you are at the wrong station, you have to wait 15 minutes before swiping it again. It did make me feel a little better about myself, however, when numerous locals, including an established musician who has lived here since birth, told me that this is a lesson that I will learn multiple times.

Lesson #3 (and this is a big one): Don't ever be afraid to be YOU. No matter what form of performing career or job interview you're going into, your uniqueness is your best selling quality. Maybe someone at an audition is a better dancer or has a stronger high C but no one can ever be a better YOU. I have what it takes to succeed in whatever I set my mind to. I just have to believe in myself first. I am a unique product searching for an interested consumer. I am who I am, and I can't allow anyone to change that along the way. Whether it takes five days or five years, I have to find the right path for me so that I never feel "stuck." It is never to late to begin pursuing what makes you happy. Derek James was a philosophy major at Syracuse with no musical training. After school, he decided that performing would make him the happiest him he could be. A few short years later, he is a successful musician, able to support himself solely with his music. He has a nice home, the most adorable dog in the world, and is happy because he chose to do what brought him joy, instead of feeling "stuck."

~ Nicole A. Korbisch

No comments:

Post a Comment