Friday, March 23, 2012

Little blonde soprano's last day in NYC...or is it?


Today is our last day in New York...or is it?! True, today may be the last day I spend my time surrounded by 13 other fabulous colleagues and professors, however it is not my last day of my whole life in the city. I promise New York, I will be back!!!

This morning we met with Logan Tracey who is a working actress in here in NYC. I really enjoyed all of the information that she gave us about being our own company, and how to manage ourselves as a business. The thing I really took away from the class is that individually, we have to hold ourselves responsible for our own actions and advancement in our career. We have to practice and work on our career, like we practice piano or voice. I really liked how she talked about spending time each week evaluating how much effort she put into her career for the week. That really helped put into perspective the network communication system performers have, and how we use our time.

For the rest of the day I'm looking forward to meeting a professional dancer, going to a recital, and finally, closing out our stay in NYC with the production "Anything Goes." I am excited for all these experiences, and also sad, because they are the send off on this incredible journey I had this week. Wow, a whole week really just happened! In some aspects it feels like the New York life style really swept up the week in all the excitement and hustle of big city life. In other aspects, I feel this week was actually kind of long, and I'm ready to go back home to the quiet everyday life of Altoona. For me, this means that for now while NYC is very exciting to me, I'm do not feel ready yet to move here yet and take the plunge.

I have learned so much on this trip about performance, the background on how to get myself started here, places to live, the many jobs available to have with performing, and more about who I am and where I'm at right now in my life. I think the biggest thing I've learned, is that I do believe in myself, and trust myself to make my own career. Now with the plethora of knowledge I have gathered from many different professionals in the business, I am more confident in planning my future wherever it may lead me.

Thank you to Mitra Sadeghpour for writing the grant to take us university students here to New York, and let us stumble through NYC figuring out what the city has to offer. Thank you to UWEC for helping to fun our trip here, making it affordable to come and make it possible for us to meet all the amazing people we have seen. Finally, thank you New York City, for having so many great opportunities for me to experience. I have had the time of my life, and have made many memories to last a life time!

In love with NYC!

Abby Doering

No comments:

Post a Comment