Tuesday, March 19, 2013

What. A. City.

As the end of day 3 in NYC comes to an end...my adventures have only just begun, and each day continues to be even better than the next! However, after our second "free night" in the city, I'm not sure if many other things will be as unforgettable as today.

This is my first official blog ON the trip, and I can honestly say that this city is a LOT different than I expected. Upon arriving here I have learned very valuable lessons about this big city life.

The subways can be hard to navigate. SUPER hard to navigate.

Winter coat should've been on the packing list.

I have to find my "rude" pants in restaurants because apparently that's how you get your way

Did I mention how much trouble the subways have given me?

It's been a whirlwind of a true "Immersion" into this huge city and what it's like trying to navigate, get places on time, and be able to have your "bearings" no matter where you are. The first night we were here we saw "Passion" over at a small theatre which was the first musical I've ever seen without an intermission, and with such a "simple" set design that kept the show moving smoothly from start to finish. One of the leading ladies was also the voice, THE voice of Pocahontas -- we met her.....!!!!!

Yesterday was the first full day in the city which most of us began in the Mt. Neboh Baptist Church. For all of who may have seen the Blues Brothers, John Belushi wasn't doing cartwheels through the aisles, but it was definitely one of my favorite memories of any church I have ever been to. Singing from the "soul" really takes on a new meaning, and it was amazing to see how the songs and the message each person had was literally moving the members up and out of the seats.

The rest of the day was spent with a short walk through Central Park, a wonderful chat with voice coach Dave Cy...something something ski and the one and only Vince B. Vincent. Both of these men were so inspiring as far as the idea of "achieving success in a performing career" and they both really made me realize that the goal of becoming a performer is much more obtainable than the world seems to let on. I can do this. ...I can do this....I ...can...do...this! : )

Following a talk with them, we headed over to Lincoln Center and saw the remarkable Paul Taylor Dance Company and got to go back stage to talk with a few after the show! After seeing the company, we paid a visit to the famous Strand (4 story) bookstore, a sneak peek to "The Chocolate Bar" that I am planning to actually purchase delicious chocolate from later this week, and then Mr. Sam Sirianni and I headed uptown to have dinner with one of Sam's relatives and his wife! Dinner was yet another amazing conversation about the reality of the dreams that Sam and I both have about performing, and his wife had the words of wisdom of "If you love something, DO IT!" -- It was a repeating topic that we have heard from every person we've talked to thus far.

Today was exploration day! We began with a tour of the Public Theatre followed by a slew of knowledge about the "behind the scenes" look into what it takes to run 4 theaters in one building. Just hearing the Aussie talk was enough for me to want to sit there all day! After our talk, Laura and I ate food, and I got us all sorts of turned around in the subways (THEY'RE AFTER ME) but we still ended up being the first ones at our next venue of the apartment of actress Laila Robins! She's a beautiful woman who told us about her amazing career as an actress, and she also graduated from Eau Claire. She is yet another person who supports each and every student on this trip and be another contact as we embark on our own performing careers in the next couple years.

As the day came to a close, the most memorable show of my life took place on 27th Avenue in NYC called "Sleep No More" Marie, Sam and I ventured into this interactive theatrical show in which we really didn't know what we were getting ourselves into, but as we checked in our bags and coats, walked through pitch black hallways and had our drinks, we entered into the most intense and amazing 3 hours of my entire life. Each floor of the "hotel" that the show was set it had a different theme, and the role of the audience was to walk around with our masks on the entire time, not talk, and venture off on our own to try and see every thing we possibly could. As we walked through the eerie levels of the hotel and watched the actors create their amazing scenes around us, some of the audience members were fortunate enough to actually be physically touched or pulled away by the actors -- including ME! I had one of the actors take my hand and run off with me, and I returned to the rest of the audience members with a ring and a lipstick stain from him kissing my cheek. This spin off of "Macbeth" is definitely one that I will hold with me for the rest of my life,  aaaand sometime in the near future I guess I'll wash off the lipstick...

What an incredible three days it has been here. Full of countless memories, and we still have the rest of the week to make even more! DANCE DAY NUMBER TWO TOMORROW

You made it to the end! Hooray! 10 points for Gryffindor!

Katherine

1 comment: