Monday, March 18, 2013

Many days and many lessons

Wow, hard to believe it's the morning of Day 3 for us in NYC.  Our days are definitely limited.

Well, the past couple of days have been nothing short of amazing, life changing, and eye opening.  For sure one of the biggest things I've noticed and have embraced is the independence that the city operates on.  Everyone is completely on their own, determined within the city.  Fending for yourself ourselves no matter what comes our way has been something I've noticed.

Since I've never been to a cit of this size, it has been interesting and neat to feel something different compared to Eau Claire (EC).  When I'm home in EC, there is not nearly as much activity and "things", I feel, to do.  I'm notorious around my friends for having "high anxiety" 24/7.  Interestingly enough, I have had no feelings of anxiety here.  The city has liberated me from feeling so tied down and nervous about everything, which I feel is ironic since there is, for some people, so much more to be concerned about.  Any ways, I can touch on that in another post or later on.

On the first night we were here we saw "Passion" by Stephen Sondheim.  Having never seen any sort of Broadway or Off-Broadway show before it was exhilarating.  The story line, music, and performers were superb and spot on.  It was the perfect way to begin our journeys in the city.

Yesterday, we had the opportunity to attend a Baptist church service.  We have been talking about culture and diversity a lot in preparation for NYC and many people, at the surface level, think of culture/diversity as only relating to race and ethnicity.  It really points towards race, class, gender, sexuality, religion, ability, look, and one other facet that I'm blanking on (oops!).  The church service was eye-opening and rejuvenating.  The congregation was warm and opening to us, strangers, entering their place of solitude and comfort on Sunday.

After church we had the opportunity to work with a vocal coach, David Sytkowski, who is from the Milwaukee area originally.  We all learned wonderful things from a person who is similar to us and is finding success in such a competitive in industry in a large city.  Part of my own journey on the trip is to figure out exactly what I want to do with my life - big question, I know!  What I took away from him and one of his clients was that, it's possible to do it all.  Pursuing all areas and taking opportunities for any of the things you're interested in is important, especially if you want to maintain all the areas you're interested in.  I am confident in saying that the appeal of utilizing all facets of my abilities in my professional career is desirable.  Another thing is that I wonder how someone becomes a vocal coach.  That is now something I want to understand possibly pursue more.

Next, we scurried to Lincoln Center to see the Paul Taylor Dance Company.  The show was phenomenal.  I have never seen a professional dance company perform and it was awesome.  Having danced and taught dance for 7 and 9 years, it made me miss my dance family and the thrill of moving around the stage.

Afterwards, we had a night to ourselves.  Myself, as well as two others, Miles and Seth, went and saw "Spiderman" on Broadway.  It too, was phenomenal.  The technical aspects of the show were the most exhilarating of all.  The staging, lines and music were a little cheesy, in my opinion, but it made the experience that much more enjoyable.

Tonight we have an entire evening free again.  I am planning on meeting up with one of my cousins who attends NYU for film.  Having only met him twice in my life, I am excited to connect with him and get to know my own family better! :-)

Today, we are getting a tour of the Public Theatre, and some of us are going to meet Laila Robbins, who graduated from UW-Eau Claire and has been incredibly successful in the city as an actress.  I am unable to attend the meeting with Laila and will be on my first interview.  Jim Bassi is a conductor/composer/pianist/Tenor.  He's literally everything I want to be and is doing it all in the city. I WANT TO KNOW HOW! I feel like the two of us are going to have a great connection, but who knows!  I'll have to let everyone know afterwards!

Wowie zowie. Wrote a lot, BUT there was a lot to write about!

Andy
 

No comments:

Post a Comment