Tuesday, March 19, 2013

It Rocks to be Me

Good morning!
Wow, this trip is going so great. I absolutely love the city even though I'm exhausted and my back is a little sore.
Yesterday, we met at the Public Theatre and were given a tour by a girl named Sara. She was from Minnesota herself, and had us meet some of the people that worked there including the production manager, the props master, and an actor himself. They responded to many of the unanswered questions that I had. It was super great minus the fire alarm that went off at the end. :)
The next thing that we did that I absolutely loved was talking to Laila Robins who is a UWEC graduate (many years ago) and has been freelance actress for over 30 years now. It was great to talk to someone that knows the Eau Claire area. She met us in her incredibly beautiful apartment and we talked for over two hours with her. One of the best pieces of advice she gave us was to be frugal with our money, so that we can spend it later on a place to live, and we will be happy that we did so. She was a welcoming and open person, and I loved talking with her!
After that, Seth, Kayla and I went to the off-broadway production of Avenue Q. This was, how do I describe it- a messier version of sesame street? However, it was quite a funny and oddly charming musical. The actors were animated and extremely skilled with the movement of the puppets. This musical was filled with so much crude humor, however there was a huge aspect of honesty to it as well. I really liked it and found it to be quite enjoyable. I was, however, a little taken back when the first song in the musical was called "It Sucks to be Me". However, it doesn't suck to be me, not this week at least. ;) We of course got lost on our way back (second time that day), but we walked through the upper east side with the snow falling and saw the Empire State Building in the distance and through the fog. It was beautiful. 
Can't wait for my day today!

Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment