Tuesday, March 19, 2013

"Places I love come back to me like music, Hush me and heal me when I am very tired" - Sara Teasdale

Well, it's the morning of our third full day.  I feel so at home and at ease, I never want to leave. 

Yesterday, Kelly and I got up early to get student tickets at the Met - but since they only had orchestra seats left, they weren't selling them.  So we got standing room tickets.  Once again, I was struck by the humanity and rudeness of people - I know everyone says New Yorkers are scary and don't really care, but that is completely false.  There was a blind lady on the subway next to us, and a businessman (an important-looking one) took her by the arm and led her to where she needed to go.  On the flip side of that, at the Met's revolving door, a lady pushed the door faster and knocked a little old lady onto the floor.  I was the only one to help her up!


But yes, yesterday was amazing.  The tour of the Public Theatre was enlightening - I didn't know that much about straight theatre, and learned so much in just a short amount of time! 


Then we met Laila Robins, who is an absolutely delightful woman! She gave us so much advice, and much of it I found applicable to opera instead of just straight theatre.  I felt so much better when she said that often, you don't do much besides your work - "I'm a Broadway nun."  We lived that with "Fledermaus."  


Finally, we saw "La Traviata."  It was the production with the red dress and the giant clock.  I wasn't sure I'd like it - the video clips I had seen just didn't impress me all that much (set-wise).  But it makes so much sense live.  I found myself being even more focused on the voice!  It was really special to be able to see "Traviata" after having completed research on Violetta this past summer.  I found myself gaining a deeper understanding of the show and the character, because I knew what was going to happen.  (I was even thinking - 'Okay, this is in Ab, and soon it'll switch to f minor to draw attention on the love theme and Brindisi.'  Those of you who know me know that I really don't like theory, so I was amazed I was thinking that way!) Plácido Domingo and Diana Damrau sang, and their artistry was impeccable.  I was struck by some of their choices (I cried through the entire third act, like usual.)  I'm actually glad that we had standing room tickets - the ledge was the perfect height for me to be able to take notes.  Even though we were far under the overhang, we still could see.  It was stunning and I am so glad we got up early for tickets.  


When Plácido came onstage, the entire house stopped and applauded - I had never seen that before.  I thought that was cool. :)  After the show, we waited at the stage door as long as we could, but had to leave for our group meeting before Plácido or Diana came out.  Oh well, it was still wonderful. 


Now onto our next adventure - a meeting with Ken Benson (an artist manager),  then a meeting with Rob Kleinendorst (one of the dancers in the Paul Taylor company and Mitra's college friend), and then a trip to Jersey to see the New York Voices! 


Jordyn Beranek

No comments:

Post a Comment