Saturday, March 9, 2013

Packing up our suitcases and minds

Wow! Hard to believe we take off for NYC in less than a week!  With so much work going into this trip by students and faculty it's almost surreal to surreal to leaving so soon.  Eight weeks of planning flies by and it's incredible to see how much can be accomplished in such a short amount of time!

I know that I am excited for many different reasons.  One, I am thrilled to explore different options for careers.  One thing that has been in my mind constantly during the course of this year is what role I will choose to pursue and play in the musical world following my undergrad.  I know that grad. school is in my future but what degree I will pursue is to be determined still.  Meeting with professionals in the field now and receiving feedback is what I hope can shed some light on my confused yet very excited mind.  That's goal number one for the trip.

Secondly, I am thrilled for this trip because I am be given the opportunity to grow with peers and professors I have grown incredibly close to and others whom I am excited to get to know better.  With such a small and intimate group traveling together, bonds are sure to be created, strengthened, and renewed.  I know that as a senior at the university, many of the us traveling have been together for four years, and, in a way, this trip is a culmination and celebration of the relationships some of us have created with each other.

Next, the ability and chance to network with other musicians outside of Wisconsin is wonderful!  While I love good ol' WI, I am excited to have/make connections and experiences with people who, in many of our minds, are making it big.  Many of us, including myself, have aspirations being successful and well-known.  One of the steps to getting there is through networking and meeting people.  Who knows who we might each encounter walking the streets, attending a concert, or standing in line at Starbucks?  The possibilities to meet and connect are endless and I know that I am excited to create some new connections outside of the state!

Until next time,
Andy Steffen
Composer/Accompanist/Singer/Conductor

No comments:

Post a Comment