Thursday, March 21, 2013

Spiderman is my dream guy

Well day three in the city (give or take a few days), and I must say it's met all my expectations and still surprised me. Life here runs on a different clock then mine. It's fast. I've always been one to march to the beat of my own drum, literally, but this isn't the place for it. Also, the people have strong opinions. One thing I've always thought of as a great virtue was the ability to look at an issue from someone else s point of view, or at least realize that your answer is not always the only one. That's not how it works here, people are very confident in what they feel or have to say, which isn't a bad thing, it just doesn't allow a lot of room to be wrong. For instance we ordered pizza the first day here and the waiter insisted we ordered something that we didn't. This is a very different attitude from the Midwest's "the customer is always right" attitude. That being said the people are still people. They may be tough and forward but they are willing to help their fellow man. Something that I really appreciate here is how everyone is willing to let you mind your own business and just zone out. When I ride a bus in Eau Claire I feel pressured to smile if not actually communicate (gross!). Here I can disappear into my thoughts.


I finally saw my first Broadway show, and it was my favorite super hero Spiderman. It was everything I hoped spiderman would be, visually stunning and terribly cheesy. It was kind of like that fun feeling you get from watching a bad movie at some parts. Although it didn’t have the most to offer as far as dialogue goes, it just made me want to shoot for the moon even more and go for it out here.

So, this entire post will turn into word vomit from here on out. I love all the input we have been getting from all the people we have been talking to. I think the thing that is most important for me right now though is to keep in mind that everyone has gone about their performing career with a different approach. Some of them believe that their way of going about it was defiantly the best choice (obviously), but they all did it differently and at different levels of success. I guess it's just important to remember that while their advice is invaluable a lot of it is still just their experiences and opinions.

I am learning a lot about myself on this trip and so far I think I am more positive than ever that I want to perform for a living, I'm just not sure how yet. For as enlightening as this trip has been, it has caused just as many questions as answers. I don't know if I want to go to grad school yet, and of course I don't know if that will be for theater or musical theater (or even film for that mater) let alone what school I would go to. Also I don't know if I want to go straight to New York, or maybe try getting experience in Chicago or Minneapolis first, or maybe even L.A. All in all it's a lot of questions, but I know that I have passion, and a reinvigorated will to become better and reach for my not fully realized dreams. 
Seth

No comments:

Post a Comment