Friday, March 22, 2013

One Short Day in the Emerald City

It's our last day.  It's a bittersweet feeling.  The city has been so wonderful and has provided so much for us. As I reflect on my experiences here I can't help but think of how I am going to bring a part oft he city with me.  In Eau Claire, it's easy for me to get anxious and worked up about things when plans change, but in NYC, I haven't experienced that at all.  It's wonderful.  Going with the flow and just dealing with things as they happen is a lesson I have learned and will carry with me back at school.

I am confident in saying that I'll be back.  There's no doubt in my mind that this city is for me. There is so much energy, passion, and motivation.  It fuels and propels almost everyone we have met.  Their commitment to their craft and art form is so admirable and inspiring that I want to embody it in my own work.

I will touch briefly on my adventures of yesterday.

WOAH!


I went to see the Eric Whitacre Singers in concert yesterday and it was everything I expected and more.  Whitacre's writing was so influential to me as a musician.  His music stood out as something so incredibly different to me and touching that I wanted to know how it worked.  As a result, this was what kick-started my composing.  I started writing, trying to understand how the notes went together to create such a raw and real energy.  Seven-ish years later, I'm still working on it.


The concert opened, unexpectedly, with an arrangement that Eric did of the National Anthem.  I am someone who loves and appreciates a traditional performance, but I love seeing if anyone can put a new twist on it while still preserving its integrity.  I was so caught of guard by the ensemble's tone, blend and the overall arrangement that my jaw essentially hit the floor.  

The rest of the program was equally as phenomenal.  One of my favorite works of his is "Alleluia", a vocal transcription of his wind ensemble piece, "October".  It was stunning (except for ALL THE COUGHING that happened...).  
\
Anyway, I have had the time of my life in NYC.  I can't wait to come back and I can't wait to bring a little NYC to Eau Claire. 

Andy

No comments:

Post a Comment