Friday, March 22, 2013

The week flew by, and we fly tomorrow.


As our adventure to New York drew nearer, I began to realize that we were going to be meeting some pretty cool people, and seeing some pretty cool things.

The past week has been bigger and better than I ever could have imagined. I knew I was going to have fun, and learn things. What I did not fully anticipate was that I would be sitting here on Friday night and thinking that my life has changed over the course of less than seven days.

I feel like the blurry lens with which I’ve been looking at my future has become significantly clearer. Things are better defined. It isn’t perfect, and it’s not focused on just one single thing, but that is okay. And it’s a big step for me to be able to accept that.

One striking thing about New York is the degree of welcoming and openness we have encountered at almost every level of performing artists. The first day we were here, we went to see Steven Sondheim’s Passion. It was a beautiful rendition of a very unique, special musical. It was classified as an off-Broadway show, which is really just based on the number of seats the theater has. But it was not lesser than a true Broadway production. Being able to be up close to the performance in a more intimate space is a special thing that could never happen in an official Broadway show. These theaters also allow for works of art to take place, which are very profound and interesting, but which might not be huge moneymakers.  Anyway, after the performance, our whole group was standing in the small coffee shop lobby just discussing our way home and getting our bearings because it was still our first day in the city. And then an actor came out to say hello to some of her friends. Her name was Judy Kuhn. She gave a brilliant performance in passion, and we all realized before the show that she had been the voice of Disney’s Pocahontas, so when she graciously accepted our interest in her and began to talk with us. Before we knew it we had talked to the two other lead actors as well! That was totally unplanned, and it was quite a way to kick-off the week.

That experience set the stage for the fact that the people we have contacted and met with and just ran into have been surprisingly open and friendly with us. Every performer we have met with has seemed genuinely interested in sharing all of the information that they are able to. From a Juilliard cellist riding the subway, to Laila Robins, a successful stage and film actor who graduated from Eau Claire! In addition to our initially planned meetings being incredibly fruitful, we have all found it very acceptable and beneficial to contact new people mostly by email, who we have just heard about this week. Many people have responded and have been eager to find a time to have lunch or coffee. Many of us were initially intimidated by the idea of networking, but now it seems that most of us actually enjoy making connections with people. And of course, everyone tells us how important it is to have many active relationships with people in the industry.

One of the most important things that I have begun to understand on this trip is that I have a true passion for and love of theatre and acting. I know now that if I do not pursue it, I will regret it, and therefore; I have to pursue it, and I now know a lot more about what that means, and all of the hard work that it is going to take. In some ways it’s scary to recognize the fact that I really am going to do this, but on the other hand, it’s comforting. Meeting so many people this week, I’ve come to the realization that there’s no real definition of “success” or “failure” in acting. And I think the same goes for many other careers and aspects of life. If you love something, you do your best with it until you can’t make it work anymore, and then you figure out what comes next. It’s just a matter of how much time, work, energy, and sacrifice you’re willing to put in. Yes, you need talent, and maybe even a little “luck.” But it goes a LONG way if you pinpoint the things that you can control, such as developing the innate talent you have, and learning how to effectively market yourself and seizing opportunities and setting yourself up for success.

Right now, I need to do quite a number of things. I need to ruthlessly pursue a solution to my voice problem. Once that is under better control, I will be able to immerse myself more freely in everything else. I need to explore dance lessons. I need to start working out and follow a more healthy diet. Those are some of the physical demands I need to meet. I can also create an actual address book of theatre contacts, starting with the people I’ve met this week, as well as many of my peers. I need to get headshots that represent me handsomely and accurately. I need to continue with voice lessons. I need to manage my time, do homework, and just develop a routine that allows me to devote enough time to classes while also being able to focus on aaallllllll of the things I do outside of class. I think that is possible. These are all things I can start on now. And importantly, I want to read about acting and theatre. I think I'll have time for that. And I know it will be good for me.

I also need to start considering what I really want to do after I finally get my B.A.s. At least I know now that it has to be theatre. But is it grad school? Or New York? Or Chicago, Minneapolis, or L.A.?? –Now it seems like New York might actually be an option. Exploring the possibility of an internship in New York is a must. I would also like to take this summer to create a more detailed typed-up basic plan of action for the next couple years. 

I have to prepare. I have to be ready for anything that comes my way. I have to be myself and always be doing this first and foremost for me, and no one else.

I have notes on all of the people we’ve been privileged to meet with, and on many of the performances we’ve attended. I intend to go over those and compile a more concise and organized account. I want to hold onto this experience as the beginning of a new part of my life. I have to bring a new level of focus to my education and pursuit of happiness. I can feel that focus and drive welling up inside me right now. And it feels good.

What a great week. Thanks friends and family and Mitra and Dr. Rieck for supporting me with this. It’s a pretty big deal.

I am looking forward.

Peace,

Sam Sirianni

No comments:

Post a Comment