Thursday, March 21, 2013

Reflections on Impact

A trip like this has the potential to be life-changing.  We learn by interacting with others and this trip has provided an opportunity to interact with so many new faces, new friends, and also with those who we thought were familiar.  (An experience like this one always provides new insights into those with whom we travel.)

A trip like this has the potential to be nothing more than a fancy vacation.  If we go through the sights, sounds, experiences and interactions without a focused reflection we take with us fleeting memories and good feelings, but not much more.

I have been very proud of this group of students who have candidly shared reflections on their experiences within our group meetings nightly.  They seem to be processing and digging.  They seem to be seeing themselves in new lights and raising new questions.  They have learned much about who they are and their potential........so have I.

I am challenged by the consistent excellence that I have been privileged to observe and experience.  Every night has brought a new and different adventure of performance: Passion, Newsies, New York Voices, Otello, and New York Philharmonic!  All are dedicated to true excellence--it is more than just a word and it shows.

Our interactions with the people who are a part of these experiences have shown us a level of dedication, hard work, and perseverance that most have not ever even dreamed possible.  The story of someone just having it and making it is much too exagerated.  There is a tremendous amount of work involved.

My challenge for myself is to examine my patterns to discover places where I have been willing to accept something less than excellence and take responsibility for making the choices that will make excellence a reality for me and for my students musically and educationally.

Just a few thoughts from a life-changing trip!!

Alan

No comments:

Post a Comment