Monday, April 15, 2013

"The only thing to do with good advice is pass it on. It is never of any use to oneself." - Oscar Wilde

I'm very glad I got the chance to let my thoughts marinate since we came back from New York. Looking back on my notes, I feel like I really understand more about everything we learned throughout the trip. 

Specifically, my interview was one of the times that I learned the most "practical" advice about the opera world.  Kelly, Laura, and I had lunch with Joanna Dionis, a dramatic mezzo-soprano, and it was really informative about some of the day-to-day life of a singer.  Joanna's at the point in her career when she's just looking for a manager, so it was helpful to be able to talk to someone who's still in the unmanaged stages of performing.  That's where I'll be soon.  

She talked to us mostly about auditioning (she'd just come from an audition when we met).  I've heard before this trip that you really only audition in the fall and then again in the spring, that they're not spread out like musical theatre.  However, Joanna said she usually auditions twice a week (not just for opera opportunities, for competitions and other solo performances).  That was really comforting to hear - knowing that I wouldn't have to stress out twice a year to try and get every audition because there wouldn't be any other chances.  She also said that competitions are a great way to become more well-known.  I'd never thought of that, but it makes sense:  the opera world is pretty small, and so sooner or later you eventually meet up with everyone. 

Random audition discoveries upon talking to Joanna: 

  • People often want to hear oratorio works
  • The professionals are wearing black dresses (so wearing a red dress to stand out might make the audition panel focus on your clothing more than your voice.)
We also talked a bit about how she figured out her social network upon moving to the city.  She actually got a master's in fiction writing at Sarah Lawrence College before she started singing, so she became friends with her classmates there first.  (Yes, one of my questions was about how you find friends in a huge city - but I feel more confident meeting and talking to people I don't really know now.  One of the last nights in the city a group of us - Marie, Andy, Sam, and I - went out for food and we ended up striking up a conversation with our server.  He's a young actor trying to make it in the city, and I feel like we probably would have met up with him again if we had more time.) 


One other random professional thought she gave me: 
  • The first few rehearsals (of a professional engagement), sing with full voice, and only then mark. I'd never heard that before, but it makes sense.  Whoever hires you wants to feel confident about their choice. :) 
We also talked about what it's like growing into your voice, and trying to be patient to wait while it changes.  As of now, I'm definitely not a dramatic soprano, but I'm headed towards full lyric/maybe spinto-land.  So it's a lot of "hurry-up-and-wait," which is sometimes frustrating, especially since the majority of my classmates have lighter voices than me and can start playing with the roles that will likely stay in their repertoire.  It was refreshing to be able to talk to someone who understands what it's like, vocally. 

I'm starting to feel confident about my voice, and now I am so grateful that I have my fifth year to focus on gaining more of my professional skills, as well as prepare for graduate school. 


Jordyn Beranek






No comments:

Post a Comment