Monday, April 15, 2013

From the Inside Looking Out


Inside Juilliard



Since I was a young girl I always dreamed of attending Juilliard. I believed that this was the most magical place ever... On Wednesday March 20th I had the privilege to not only admire Juilliard from the outside, but walk in and explore as if I were a student!

One of our tasks for this trip was to network with people in New York City. Our mission was to seek out people that we were interested in interviewing on our trip, and finding a way to contact them. For weeks I sent what seemed to be a million emails to anyone and everyone in New York City! I used my best friend Google to help in the search process. Originally, my plan was to find someone that played piano in hotel lobbies, or for dance classes. I never had any luck with the lobby pianists. None of them emailed me back, which was disappointing. I found a young man that played at a dance studio but he was leaving the city when I would be arriving.

This trip date was approaching and I felt that I was making slow progress networking. After weeks of attempting to contact people, I was not having any luck. I did not have anyone to interview yet... I remember sitting in my practice room at school, brainstorming what I could possibly do next. Then it dawned on me!!!

Why not use Facebook to find people!!! I then decided that rather then just seek out people that already have established careers, why not contact students around my age! I quickly got on Facebook and started clicking away. I had one friend on Facebook that was a successful musician and a Juiliard graduate. I used his profile as my gateway. I went through his friends and clicked so far into a pool of connections, that before I knew it I had an entire page of all of the pianists at Juilliard before my eyes. With all the 'add friends' icons, I couldn't resist.... I went through and "added" up a storm! Within 10 minutes I was already getting notifications of new friends. Not just any friends.... but FRIENDS THAT ATTEND JUILLIARD! The next step was to send these kind people messages explaining what I had just done. There were two students that I decided looked pretty cool and I wanted to meet! So I focused on getting them to meet with me. I sent two very thorough messages explaining that I was going on this trip and I would love to meet them... The guy responded within an hour. The girl responded that weekend. To my surprise they agreed to meet with me! I was astonished that that all happened so quick! It is amazing what you can accomplish with technology now...

When we arrived in NYC I messaged the two Juilliard students and told them I was there! Unfortunately the guy could no longer meet with me, but the girl was still planning on meeting me. A couple weeks before I got there I had emailed her and asked her if she was playing in any recitals while I would be there. She replied, "No I am not, but I would be happy to play for you regardless." I was looking forward to this!! It was confirmed, Wednesday morning I would go to Juilliard. She would get me at the security desk, show me around the school then play for me in a practice room!!!

Wednesday morning approached and I was on my way to Juilliard!!!!!!!! I had gone to the Today show that morning with Kelly and Laura, and then they dropped me off at Juilliard! I texted Leann and she came to get me at the security desk. It was funny when she approached me, she exclaimed, "I have that scarf too!" I thought wow, this girl is just like me!

I was surprised at how plain Juilliard is inside. it is very white, clean, and there is not much going on. But CLEARLY inside all the practice rooms there is a TON going on. My tour was brief but by the quick glance I got at the library, I can tell you that Juilliard has a GORGEOUS library!!!

The practice room that Leann took me to was similar to one of UWEC's music classrooms. It was similar in size and had two Steinways. There were two large windows with an amazing view of the city! After chatting for a bit she played for me! It was amazing. Her playing helped clarify one thing for me... It is perfectly realistic to go to Juilliard. HOWEVER, you must practice VERY hard!!! She was proof. Talking to her, I quickly realized she is a PERSON! A normal person! I think over the years I made myself believe that it was impossible to go to Juilliard... I didn't think an ordinary person could go there. But like I said, with hard work, and dedication, anything is possible! That is what Leann kept saying to me too. I told her my goals and dreams. She encouraged me and said that my goals are realistic and  I just need to keep working towards them. She also said that the most important thing is to keep a positive self image! She stressed the importance of professionalism and being personable.

Having this amazing opportunity to meet this wonderful person, she opened my eyes and pushed me to want to fight even harder for my dreams! From this experience I made that decision that I will go audition at Juilliard for grad school just as a personal goal, to know that I did it. She told me that you should try for everything you want. There is nothing to lose.

That day I reflected on my possible future and turned the tables so that instead of being in Eau Claire, Wisconsin dreaming about Juilliard.... I was in the moment, inside Juilliard looking out to the world and thinking, "I will do this when I am ready!"
I can do this.

 Sincerely,
Kayla Shoemaker


No comments:

Post a Comment