Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Continuously Yearning

It's  like a trip down memory lane as I read some of the blog posts from our trip.  Hard to believe we went almost a month ago!  Incredible how the time flies.

As I had mentioned in an earlier blog, I met with Jim Bassi, composer/pianist/conductor/Tenor, while on the trip.  I was connected to him through a student at UW-Eau Claire, who's husband worked with Jim once upon a time.  I am forever grateful for Sean Vogt and his willingness to help me out.

During our meeting we talked about many things, but one thing that stands out is out discussion about the composing process.  Typically, what I would do is bring my laptop to whatever keyboard I was working with, open Finale, and go.  While this has worked for me and proven successful, what Jim brought to my attention was the inability to revisit old material.  Usually, what happened was I would write something, then if I didn't like it I would erase it.  Simple as that but Jim's point was that if I ever wanted to see if I had usable material for later on, it was lost.  I was starting over from scratch every time I sat down to compose.  He said (and kind of ordered me) to only pencil and paper from now on.  While it's a simple suggestion, it made all the difference in my mind.  It never really occurred to me that I was losing motives, phrases, and ideas every time I deleted something on my computer.  By using pencil and paper, I am able to look back on previous sketches and pull from those instead of starting new every single time I need to write something.

One of the greatest things about this interview was how natural is was.  We were required to type up interview questions for our one-on-one meetings, but when Jim and I started talking, it was like two old friends getting together.  No script needed.

Another thing we talked about was orchestration.  That's one area that I am not very familiar with and want to get better at.  Since I only studied with Dr. Wickman for three semesters at the university and am also not a composition major, it's not something that I was focused on.  My belief  is that, in order for me to be a sought after and functional composer, I need to know how to write for instruments, not just voices.  So, Jim suggested that I take whole orchestra scores and read through them on the piano.  Look at them harmonically, melodically, and conceptually.  This will help to provide a framework for understanding how instruments and voicings work.

Lastly, I was able to show Jim my portfolio. He looked through my pieces and offered me awesome suggestions and feedback about my writing.  Most people would probably just look through anyone else's work and say basic and surface level things, but Jim went and did some analysis of my pieces and offered great advice.  In general, he said that I might want to avoid the subdominant (IV) for a lot of cadences, which I tend to gravitate toward.  Also, developing sections more and allowing counterpoint to flourish.  I tend to cut ideas off right when they could start to become something, so I need to let the music come forth and not restrict it.

Overall, this meeting was phenomenal.  It will forever, I believe, stand out in my mind and life as a moment that shaped and changed my views as a composer.  I am excited and looking forward to begin writing more and applying these ideas.

Andy

No comments:

Post a Comment