Tuesday, April 30, 2013

"Not a Day Goes By, Not a Single Day..."

In the words of one of the greatest musical theatre composers of our time, Mr. Sondheim, not a single day goes by where the New York City Immersion Experience doesn't cross my mind.  I am reminded of it one way or another; I run across a ticket stub or a playbill from one of the many incredible exposure of the fine arts and a phrase of a song or vision from a scene floats through my memory.  I find my hand scribbled notes written on the top of my score from my voice lesson on W 72nd Street with the fabulous Claudia Catania.  I pass one of my NYC colleagues and as we stop to give each other a proper greeting we talk about how much we want to go back.  No experience in my college career has given me as much as this Immersion Experience has.  And I was fortunate enough to go not one, but two years in a row!

As excited as I was for this trip, throughout the class I was little worried.  What if I wasn't going to learn nearly as much as the first time that I went on this trip.  What's it going to be like with an entirely different group people, ages, and majors?  The group from last year meshed so well, what if that doesn't happen?  We were fortunate enough last year that everyone came back in one piece, but what if that doesn't happen?  Needless to say, I came back with yet another notebook filled front and back with notes and pieces of advice, just like last year.  And even more mind-boggling opportunities and experiences, some that I didn't even expect!

December of 2011, the first group of NYC Immersion Experience was getting ready to start their own networking.  I remember sitting in the choir room as Mitra gave us our assignment; we had to set up an interview/lesson using our networks and sources in NYC.  I remember looking at her simply baffled.  I didn't know anybody in New York!  How am I going to do this?!  After writing my reflection paper that May (2012), I was satisfied with what I gained from my networking.  But a part of me knew that I could have done more.  I couldn't shake off the feeling that I could have dug deeper into the connections that I had in New York, I could have taken more chances.  That was one of my new course goals/objectives I set for myself this year: to take more chances and grow my network.

Last fall semester, I took an acting class that focused on the style of Shakespeare and Chekhov.  One day, we spent about forty minutes talking about this actress who has had an impressive career for the past two decades.  Her name was Laila Robins.  She's been on Broadway, off-Broadway, Shakespeare in the Park, done some TV and movie roles, and has worked alongside the likes of Christopher Walken, Steve Martin, James Earl Jones, and most recently Jude Law.  She went to grad school at the Yale School of Drama and was born in the St. Paul area.  But most importantly, she graduated from University-Wisconsin Eau Claire!  Our jaws dropped.  When I found out that she was still working and living in New York, I knew at that moment that Laila was who I wanted to meet with.

The process of finding her contact information, and composing and sending out the email was a long and tedious one.  Finally through the help of the UWEC Alumni Associations office,  I had her contact information.  It took me about a week just to write the email, making sure that everything was grammatically correct and well-written.  Finally I hit send.  I prepared myself by thinking, "IF she even replies, it probably wouldn't even be this week."  to my surprise she replied WITHIN the hour!  I was floored!

Laila was gracious enough to not only interview with me, but with the entire group, and invited us to conduct the interview the living room of her Upper West Side apartment.  The entire interview seemed like I was living a dream.  Laila was so incredibly down-to-earth, and gave us so many pieces of advice my hand cramped up trying to write everything down.  I just kept thinking, "She started out at UWEC.  She walked down the same halls and performed in the same university theatres, Kjer and Riverside like I'm doing right now!" 

At one point during the interview, Laila talked about she now gives coaching lessons for people of all sorts, including undergraduates preparing for graduate school auditions.  A lightbulb went off in my head.  I knew that Laila had played Titania from Shakespeare's A Midnight Summer's Dream in Central Park just a few years ago, and I was just cast in that same role here in the university production.  At the end of the interview as we said our goodbyes, I asked if she had any openings for a coaching during the rest of the week.  My heart was pounding in my throat, but I knew that I would regret it if I didn't try.  And it was one of my course objectives.  It just so happened that she did, and two days later I got to work with her on the monologues and the character Titania.  In a matter of 60 minutes,  I had a new appreciation and understanding of Titania that I didn't think was possible.  And the best part is, I made this happen.  I did the research, and plucked up the courage to ask, and it gave me this AMAZING array of moments and artistic growth.

The other main objective that I had for this trip (I had many) was to explore the neighborhoods outside of Manhattan, and figure out which neighborhood I wanted to live in first.  I knew that this was going to be tricky.  It is impossible to explore Manhattan in a week, let alone Brooklyn, Queens, Harlem, New Jersey, and the Bronx.  I began to do my research.  I quickly figured out which neighborhood I wanted to explore when I was out there.  I have heard about Astoria (a north-western division of Queens) from fellow friends and performers who have moved out there.  It is actually called "Actoria", because of its thriving artistic society.  I called up one of my closest friends who started out in Astoria before moving to downtown Manhattan.  When I met up with him for dinner on the trip, I was surprised to find out that he moved back to Astoria just a few weeks ago.  When I asked him why he replied, "I just love it there too much.  It feels like home and a good break from the crazy city life."  

After we finished our meals, we took the subway train through Manhattan and under the Hudson river.  Suddenly we were above ground, which is a sign we were in Queens.  I was surprised at the amount of time it took to get from the island to Astoria.  It was a mere fifteen minutes!  The sun was setting when we got off the train and began walking towards his apartment.  I was surprised at how clean and quiet it was, for "New York standards".  Astoria was no different that an urban neighborhood in the Twin Cities.  There were even budding trees!  And green bushes!  When I got to my friend's apartment, I was expecting a studio the size of a closet.  I was shocked when he opened the door to a clean, critter-free apartment complete with a living room, full kitchen, and a large bedroom.  Even with roommates, there was more than enough space to accommodate each person comfortably.  I decided right then and there with the proper connections and diligent research, you could find a place to live near the city that won't burn a hole in your pocket.

I left New York City with the satisfaction that I answered my two objectives.  But I came back and am in the process of setting even more goals for myself.  I know that it is going to be a great summer.  I found a job in Door County as a full-time server, and I'm growing and learning as a performer off the stage.  I am living on my own in a studio apartment that I found myself.  So far I have planned a strict budget set with money for food, rent, gas, and allowing myself a weekly allowance.  I know that I need to learn how to be smart with my money, especially when I am going to be on my own in a year!  Next, I have a list of books that I am going to read over the summer, not only pertaining to musical theatre, but also straight acting as well.  I am also setting the goal to find two performing opportunities in Door County, whether it be an open mike night or a planned set at one of the many outdoor restaurants/events.

Last year the 2012 New York Immersion Experience changed my life; I can say proudly that my life changed once again on the 2013 Immersion trip.  The biggest thing I learned is that you are never done learning, even when you graduate from college.  There are always more books to read, more plays to interpret, more characters to learn about, more classes to take, more techniques to improve on.  I am taking those challenges by the horns!  There are many people who say they are born to perform, but it takes so much more than that.  It takes sacrifice, confidence, and a dedication that has to come from every fiber of your being.  I say, BRING IT ON!

No comments:

Post a Comment