Monday, April 29, 2013

"It is our choices... that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." - Albus Dumbledore, JK Rowling's "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets"


It’s been a month and a half since our New York City adventure, and there’s so much to think about after this wonderful journey.  I feel like I’ve learned so much about myself both as an artist and as a person. 

I'm on the journey of figuring out the next step in my life, and I feel that with the knowledge I've gained from this trip, I'll be able to do that.  I'm in the process of applying for graduate schools, and starting to become more independent in my life.  It's scary. I'm not going to lie.  But, life wouldn't be nearly as much fun without adventures.  So I just have to keep telling myself that I can handle this, and it'll eventually work out in the end.

My biggest surprises on the trip were how much I learned from (and enjoyed) the non-opera related events.  There was something I was able to take from every single performance, and every person we talked to.... it was incredible.  I guess I went in with the right attitude of thinking "oh, well, this'll be cool," and then I realized that my open-mindedness actually allowed me to learn and grow as an opera singer, because everything in life is connected.  There are just different ways to express the experiences we all face as human beings. 

The questions I had before the trip were practical.  We all had both personal and professional objectives, and both of mine involved the day-to-day life of a young artist.

Personal objective:  While on this trip, I want to determine how to survive in the city – I want to look at neighborhoods to find out my best options for housing, and I want to find inexpensive ways to do lots of different things (like work out, go to museums and concerts/recitals, buy food, etc.) I also want to determine the best ways to find friends once living in the city.

I feel like I won't just be able to survive in the city when I move there - I feel like I will be able to thrive.  I felt comfortable everywhere we went, and I think that I will be able to find a cute little apartment (that I like - that was some advice we got.  Always make sure you like your apartment!) anywhere near the general area of the city.  It will probably be an outer borough, but I'm okay with that.  I realized that there were so many things to do and see, and the majority of them could be done for free (or a discounted rate on certain days.)  The Not for Tourists book is incredibly helpful because it has price guidelines and recommendations for things to do on a budget, and once you're actually in the city, free and cheap events just come up. 

Professional objective:  I want to learn more about what it is like as a young opera singer – in that I want to learn about just how often auditions are; I want to know how much time I will have for my craft and how much time I will spend temping. 

I feel so much more comfortable with this.  I'm glad that Joanna said she auditions on average twice a week.  It makes me feel better knowing that opera auditions aren't just for a couple weeks of craziness when all the companies are in NY, but rather, that there are always opportunities.  I also now know that I will end up spending half of my time on my music, and the other half on living.  I'm fine with this - as long as I can have music in my life, I'll be okay. 

Jordyn Beranek

No comments:

Post a Comment