Monday, April 15, 2013

Impact at it's Finest


As I sit here and try to think of a clever way to begin this blog all I can think about is the concept of time. We never know how much time we have, and in the moments we take time to appreciate, they are gone faster than we ever could have imagined. Time is valuable, and time is something not to be wasted. I have hit back space entirely too many times while coming up with the beginning of this blog. The moral of the story, is that if you ever have time to meet a choreographer from New York City -- do it. 

My personal interview for the week was with choreographer John Dietrich on our 4th day of the trip. He was the director and choreographer for the Radio City Rockettes for 17 years and I couldn't believe that I had the opportunity to meet with him! His nephew goes to UWEC and I just so happened to bring him home for Christmas break / made small talk on the ride back / talked about NYC and he was able to connect me with his uncle! I was nervous to be meeting someone from the city for the first time, and no matter how many preparations I had tried to make or deep breaths I took, it was a bit hard to stifle my onset of emotions.

HOWEVER, almost immediately after John introduced himself I felt better. He was an extremely nice man who was happy to be able to meet me on my trip, and gave me such an insight to the world of dance and choreography in America! He has lived in both Los Angeles and NYC, as well as working on cruise ships and travelling with his career! In his opinion, New York was the place to be, and his attitude of “just go for it” continues to stick with me even as we approach a month since we have been there already.

Time. It works in the weirdest ways, and has gone by TOO fast this year! In the time we spent in New York, it taught me how to face my fears, substitute patience in times of panic, and I learned that if I “just go for it”, amazing opportunities can fall into my lap. Networking is incredible. New York is incredible. Finding out what life has in store for me -- will be incredible. 

Katherine

No comments:

Post a Comment