Thursday, April 12, 2012

Tenor so in Manhattan - Review

I wrote a lot when I was in New york and I still havent gotten myself a blog. It will come, do not worry. But I want to take some time to review my experience.

Best Musical Experience
While seeing Juan diego rip up the Met in L'elisir was amazing and shows me how you can emote on stage, I have to say my most musical experience was seeing Godspell.

Being at the met was great and I know that being in the presence of such great performers is fantastic. I love this music and hope to sing as much of it as I can. The differences are what really set apart the broadway show from the opera. I was sitting very close to the stage and the actors interacted with me. I love the grandeur of opera, but something still gets me in the musical setting. It was very powerful and in a different way than opera. I hope to be good enough to one day do crossover.

Best NewYork Experience
I think running around New York is awesome. There are many ways to get to the same place. Me and Steph were late to the met and we still need to change. I decided we had to take a taxi. It was an experience. Not bad, not cheap, but not terrifying. I like traveling around new york with no real destination in mind. So many things to see and do.

Best Group Experience
Me and two other girls were traveling back to the hotel after going to the Mannes student recital. We were having tons of fun. My favorite part is the fact that the girls had no idea where to go and when the subway stopped at one place, one of the girls stood up. I said this was not our stop and to sit back down. She did. She fell on her butt because the seat she was on, folded back up into the wall. What a laugh we had.

Personal review
I know it sounds rediculous, but I learned that I do not need to be in New York right now. I am not planning on going to Grad school in New York. the city is not calling me right now and I know I will be there often enough. I loved being there, but I do not need to rush my life ahead. My life will take me to New York and some point.
Second, I know I can do it. Singing has gotten much better for me since the trip and I love the way singing feels now. Easy. More relaxed (not completely... yet). Expressive, and much more than whe I was trying to be. Singing is not to be dreaded any more and this realization makes practicing much easier. Performing bears more fruit and the music I sing always can teach me something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment