Thursday, April 12, 2012

Network and "The Hustle"
Networking and stepping out of my comfort zone are two things I became more familiar with while in New York and leading up to the trip. One of the assignments included setting up a meeting with someone while in New York. This was quite a scary concept for me when first starting the class. The only person I knew in New York was my cousin Ingrid, and I hadn't talked to her in quite some time. I didn't know how to even begin finding someone that I could interview about being a performer or living in New York! I was even hesitant to contact my cousin, not wanting to be a bother. But being the diligent student I am, I gritted my teeth and sent a seemingly desperate message to cousin Ing asking if she had any connections or oppurtunities for me in the city. I wasn't sure that she was even going to respond, but the next day I recieved a lengthy message with perhaps the most valuable information I have learned from this whole experience, or at least the beginnings of what I was about to learn. She told me many of the networking tips and the differences in culture that she had come to learn in her 10 years of being in the city. She had also grew up in the midwest and was a student at UWEC, so she experienced many of the pitfalls of a midwestern culture and manner. An important lesson she had to give was to go after what you want, and don't be ashamed to ask for it. This was a completely eye opening idea for me, especially because of the culture I was born into. She also introduced me to Logan Tracey, who led "The Hustle" class for the entire group. Logan had so much advice for young performers starting out from how to be memorable at an audition to tax information. We focused mainly on networking and being the CEO of your business. Being a professional businessman is something singers often don't think about in their careers, and it was very beneficial to recieve some insights into starting a successful business for yourself.

If I hadn't had the oppurtunity to take this class I don't think I would be as confident in standing up for myself and going after what I want as I now am. Being professional in emails, classes, and personal interactions is important, and so is being confident and comfortable with who you are. These are some of the things I have taken away from this experience, and specifically the assignment given.
~Britney Shattuck

No comments:

Post a Comment