Wednesday, April 11, 2012

More thoughts from a soprano who wants her life to be an opera!


We’ve been back for a while and I’m starting to think about the bigger picture.  I’m now starting to realize that while the thought of starting a singing career is a little intimidating, it’s certainly not too frightening for me!

The biggest thing I’ve learned from this trip is that life is all about choices, and that it’s okay to make a choice and then later decide that it’s not for you.  I have a tendency to think that there is only one particular path to my goals, and that any variation of that path is not acceptable because I have to do everything following that one particular plan.  If I make choices, it’s okay to change my mind.  That is so huge for me right now, and I think it’s starting to sink in.

Another big part of what I learned is about networking.  Yes, it’s very important, but it’s also heartening to learn that it’s incredibly easy!  It can be as low-key as facebook messages to someone (who you already know) who does a summer program that you’re interested in.

Other things I learned on this trip:

New York.  So incredible.  I love everything about it and can’t wait until I move there.  I love the constant amount of energy and all of the inspiration for everything:  New York is truly the one place in the world with everything.  It was so striking to me to see all of the differences brought together – beautiful old buildings right next to modern skyscrapers, the glamour of the Met compared to the simplicity of the backstage areas, the mixture of urban and nature (not just Central Park, people even put plants on roofs in order to create beauty), and all of the different cultures coming together to thrive in one area.  The mixture of all of these things is just so intriguing to me. 

I need to stop and think before doing anything, especially with directions.  If we ever went the wrong way going anywhere, it was because of me.  I need to really be aware of what I’m doing and not do things mindlessly, because that creates problems.

The life of a performer is the right one for me.  It’s so liberating to be able to say that I want to do this – because I do.  I love opera so much and love being onstage.  This trip has made me realize that I have the abilities to succeed as a performer, and has made me so much more confident in myself.  

Jordyn

No comments:

Post a Comment