Wednesday, April 11, 2012

More thoughts and reflections about my lesson, or how I'm starting to figure things out!


I know I posted as soon as we got back about my lesson, but looking back, it was more of a list of what we did instead of my thoughts about it. So, here goes!
When Britney and I got to the Manhattan School of Music, I was nervous.  My thoughts were a jumbled mess:  “What if I’m not up to the New York standard?  What if she tells me she never wants me to even think about coming here for grad school?  What if I don’t like the lesson?”  

It turns out that all of my over-thinking was pointless; there was so much that I learned and was able to process from hearing everything in a different way.  I learned that I understand the concepts for good singing, but I’m not applying them.  I have all the tools for success, and now I need to put them all to use.   

The biggest thing we worked on in my lesson was breath.  We worked on other things, such as a legato line, but that is tied so completely to the breath.  If I’m not working with my core, my breath will be off.  When my breath is off, not only do I not sound like I am supporting myself (because I’m not), but I also am unable to create a legato line. 

Being back in classes and being able to take what I’ve learned into my voice lessons has been so helpful.  Right now my biggest problem is breath – I’m not supporting myself with my core and that throws everything else off.  I've figured out that my lack of support is what I've been working on recently - my lack of being grounded.  Since I am not supporting myself physically, I cannot possibly be supporting myself in my breathing.  I have been working on feeling downward energy toward the floor to try and make myself more supported and more in control of myself.  My lesson yesterday was really exciting - because I struggle to not "perch" so much when I'm standing, we had me sit (with good posture, feeling like I could stand up at any minute).  It was incredible!  I could feel my breath doing so much more work, and as a result some of my other vocal issues went away.  When I was only focusing on one thing while singing, I didn't feel as overwhelmed as I usually do.  Yes, it was work, but I felt more joy instead of worry.  It   feels so good to be able to start figuring things out!  I'm going to sing, and I'm going to keep learning as I go.   

Jordyn

No comments:

Post a Comment