Thursday, April 12, 2012

Interview with a Liturgical musician

I had great interviews in New York with people who help others pray. I was interested in church music and how the music is created. Being a student, I am interested in solo music and choral music. After talking to my interviewees, I learned these things.
  1. Music helps the community pray.
  2. Music must have variety.
The most important thing is to reach out to the community. I saw this two ways. The church I went to had many different choirs and services to have them at. Contemporary and solemn settings to help different sections of the community pray. They also have a concert series which takes up much time as well. The second church had it focus on the masses. There is also a concert series but not to the same extent.

The most exciting thing is the idea that music must have variety. Not only must the music be singable, it must be accessable. The purpose of music in the catholic church at least is not just to wash over you. It involves participation. This was stressed by both places.

I also learned that as a church singer, you can still have a career in music. The woman I talked to at the first chruch still has jobs that take her places, but her job at the church was a full time position. I love singing for the church and I am glad to know that you can do that and do other things.

I am excitied to bring some of the ideas I learned back to my parishes and help spread the musical message.

No comments:

Post a Comment