Friday, February 21, 2014

My Lesson

I just realized that this post never got posted on the blog. I wrote this on my last day. My apologies for the delay!


When I first found out that I was accepted into the program, I decided to stay a few extra days in New York City. I have an aunt who lives in the city, along as some cousins of mine who also live in the city. I usually visit them form time to time in the summer months, and thought that it would be perfect to stay a few extra days to get to visit with them. I also was able to schedule a lesson with Joan Patenaude Yarnell, who is a voice professor at the Manhattan School of Music. I was able to come in contact with her over the fall months and she was more then willing to meet with me and provide me with a lesson. I was very excited, honored, and humbled to have a lesson with such a renowned performer and teacher. She scheduled me to have a lesson with her at her apartment on the Saturday after everyone form the trip had gone back to Eau Claire.

When I arrived to her apartment building, I walked up two sets of stairs and arrived at her door. While I was walking up the stairs, all I heard was beautiful music combined with gorgeous voices. She had a lesson before me, and the person had an amazing voice. I knocked on her door and she happily greeted me and invited me to sit in her waiting room while she was finishing up the lesson before me. As I was waiting, she had on the Met live broadcast of Die Fledermaus, which I had seen earlier in the week. Her apartment was stunning, full of art and beautiful color. As I was sitting in her study, I noticed the pictures that she had on her coffee stand, they were of her with famous opera performers and conductors, like Pavarotti.  I was truly amazed and star struck. She came in when her lesson was done, and invited me to join her to begin my lesson. She told me that the man that she was teaching before me was the lead counter tenor in Die Fledermaus at the Met. I was so amazed! He and I had a conversation before I started my lesson, which consisted of me going on and on about how amazing his voice was, and little did I know, that he is one of the leads in a Met production.

I preformed three songs for Professor Patenaude Yarnell. After I sang all three songs she went through each song and picked out sections to work on with me. Each happened to be my trouble spots, which was wonderful to work on with you. She gave me so many tips and tricks to help improve my singing technique and performance. It all started with the breath. We worked on sustaining the breath to create the phrase. She also helped me to improve my posture by using the “Noble Stance”, which is lifting your arms over your head and gently bringing them down to your side, maintain the posture that you have just created. It truly improved my singing a great deal. There were many more things that I learned from in my lesson that had a wonderful lasting effect on me. It was such an honor to work with such a wonderful teacher. She shared a lot of valuable information with me and encouraged me to work more with her in the future. Needless to say, I was extremely honored and humbled by her compliments and comments. I look forward to working with her more in the future.

Many Thanks,

Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment