Friday, February 21, 2014

My Interview with Mary Birnbaum



For my interview, I met with Professor Mary Birnbaum. She is a professor at Juilliard and teaches acting for singers, movement, and directs some of the operas at Juilliard. Professor Birnbaum also stared her own theater company in New York City in 2009 and works with the Seattle Opera along with many other opera/theater companies. I got in contact with Professor Birnbaum by simply emailing her and asking if she would be able to meet with me.  I was extremely interested in her work as a professor at Juilliard and in New York Ctiy, and thought that I would be a wonderful experience to meet with her. I was able to obtain her contact information through the Juilliard staff directory. We were in contact via email throughout fall semester, figuring out a time to meet when I was in New York City. We were able to set up a time on the Saturday after the rest of our group had left for Eau Claire. I had planned on staying a few extra days to visit with family, so meeting with Professor Birnbaum on Saturday worked perfectly.

We met at a Teashop right outside of Juilliard that was extremely delightful. When I arrived, we met and sat at a table. We had already been communicating throughout the semester, so it was nice that we already knew each other.  The interview started out by taking about her background in theater and how she got to where she is now. She shared how she started her own theater company in New York City. We also talked about the UW-Eau Claire opera/voice program. I spoke of our immersion experience that I had just been on. She was extremely impressed that this type of program existed. As I explained further about what we were doing in New York City, she expressed how important a program like this was. Her comments made me very proud of our program and still extremely honored to say that I was involved with a program like this. I was very interested in learning more about her position as a professor at Juilliard.  I shared that acting as apart of preforming was something that I always needed more practice with. In her job, she teaches acting and movement strategies for singers. We had a short interview due to her work as the director of one of the operas at Juilliard. She was in the middle of staging one of their main stage operas that day. She used her break to meet with me.

Professor Birnbaum really encouraged me to look further into the opera studies program at Juilliard. She shared with me the process of entering into the opera program, and what classes are available in the program. I learned a lot about the process in which to apply for the graduate program, and the categories of classes that are offered for each skill level. I asked a lot about the opera program, especially her involvement within the program. I found it really interesting that they have specific classes for stage movement and other forms of stage technique. That really interested me in the conversation as did the other material that she covered.

I really enjoyed taking with Professor Birnbaum. I learned so much about the opera program at Juilliard and all that the institution offers for both undergraduate and graduate students. She opened my eyes to the many possibilities that were present in New York City with her own theater company and within Juilliard. Advice from the admission application process to the description of what she teaches in the institution was discussed in my interview with her. I was encouraged to revisit Juilliard when applying for graduate programs and to stay in touch as I continue my undergraduate journey. I was also provided with further advice of what to really look into while in New York City, that I would gain a great deal form. I was very honored to meet with Professor Birnbaum, and I look forward to working with her in the near future. I was encouraged to stay in contact with her and let her know when I was in the city again to talk again. This interview was a wonderful experience, and I am very thankful that Professor Birnbaum decided to meet with me.

Many Thanks,

Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment