Friday, February 21, 2014

My Wonderful Interview

This year in New York City I interviewed Spencer Myer, a very inspiring concert pianist. It was very interesting how I networked with Spencer... Apparently I do not have the greatest luck with email because both this year and last year for the immersion trip I first tried to network by emailing people... Unfortunately, a lot of them never emailed me back. My first year on the trip I had the same problem... The due date to find a person of interest was approaching and I went into panic mode. I remember that day quite vividly. I was actually in my practice room playing the day away when all of a sudden it hit me! ...I have always loved Juilliard, I am pretty good at making Facebook friends, so why hadn't I thought to enter the great networking portal of Facebook sooner?? I logged into my account that second and began to find Juilliard piano students. Before I knew it I was basically in their circle of friends. It was so easy, it was crazy. I was nervous at first and felt completely nuts, but I began to click on like ALL of the piano majors currently attending Juilliard. Within minutes they all accepted me. From there I sent private messages to them explaining the immersion trip and the interview assignment. The first two students that got back to me were the two that I kept in close contact with. Long story short, I asked them if I could meet them... The young man would have but he was flying out of NYC when I was flying in, so I never got to meet him. However, the wonderful young woman was available and met with me in a Juilliard practice room!! It was the highlight of my trip. We actually still keep in contact! Meeting her was wonderful.
---okay, back to this year... (How I found Spencer?)---
I DID THE SAME THING! Except this time I had actually added him many months before I knew I was going on this trip again. He always had exciting news on his Facebook and over time I kept noticing his popularity and accomplishments growing. When I started networking for the winter 2014 trip I started contacting pretty famous pianists. Obviously that was a long shot, and I didn't get anywhere... Then out of the blue I remembered Spencer Myer whom I found on the Facebook page of the girl I interviewed last year. I sent him a private message and he eagerly replied back. I remember being very impressed with how nice he was in his messages. I was even more impressed and delighted when I got the chance to meet him in person at a Starbucks in New York City.


Here are a taste of my interview notes:




  1. Do you have an agent? -yes
     
    (After telling Spence my piano goals, he encouraged me to get a manager in the future but perhaps maybe in LA or Chicago. NYC is the place to be if I decide to be a strict classical pianist.)

     2. Do you manage your own website? -yes
     3.What are your biggest sacrifices with this career? –Travelling all the time!
     4. Non-music related hobbies? –Food (He loves indulging in fine foods!), email (he values his friends, family, and connections), and theater.




My other questions were specific questions to some of his past repertoire he has performed. I asked for tips because he has performed a lot of the piece that I will be performing soon. I also asked his advice on marketing tips, and how to seek out awesome opportunities. I liked Spencer so much because he has taken part in some really neat opportunities. He played a concert in South Africa because he won the competition. I believe he said it was an all expense paid deal for the winner. I was so intrigued by this! Hopefully I can do something like this someday! Also! Spencer competed in the Van Cliburn competition several years ago. This is perhaps a goal of mine.


Spencer was so easy to talk to. He has a genuine personality and is very humble about his talents. I find these qualities to be very important. It frustrates me when I know a very successful pianist with a not so great attitude. Personally, I treat music in a very intimate way. If I cannot trust or like the performer, I cannot fully engage in their music. It is very important to always captivate your audience.


I had a very positive experience meeting Spencer and I hope to hear him in concert someday. I will never forget how generous he was to help inspire and encourage my dreams. This trip allowed me this special opportunity and I am very grateful.


Sincerely,
Kayla















No comments:

Post a Comment