Friday, February 28, 2014

Reflection

At our first class meeting for the immersion experience, we were asked what our personal and professional goals would be for the class.  My personal goal included learning if I had "what it takes" to tough it out in the big city and my professional goal was learning whether I, a white, midwestern raised female, would be able to work in at-risk schools or in highly diverse areas.  In a way, both my personal and professional goals overlap.  My reasoning for worrying whether I could "make it" in a big city had a lot to do with my own concerns of asserting myself when having to clash with so many other big personalities.  I often feel that I face this problem on a day to day basis within our Music Department at UWEC.  Most of my peers have big, exuberant personalities that go hand in hand with their strong backgrounds in performance.  Sometimes, in a room full of my music major peers, I feel that I come off as meek in comparison.  After participating in this trip, I have learned that although that might be the case, there are many different ways to be an effective teacher without being the loudest personality.  When I spent time at the charter school in Brooklyn, I observed many teachers that exuded silent confidence while at the same time exhibiting demonstrative instruction.  At that time, I realized that although it is okay to have worries and concerns, I can and will be the most effective version of myself by trusting in myself and my own abilities.  I did not need to emulate anyone else to "make it" anywhere.

Reflecting back on all of the experiences I have had in my life, including the NYC immersion, I have always been at my best when I was naturally assertive and curious.  I have a genuine desire for knowledge and fostering knowledge in others.  I thoroughly enjoy learning about new places and people.  I also love to make lasting connections with people because most importantly, I have learned that although I may at times think that I am the center of my own universe, there are also seven billion other people in the world that have have a life full of different and shared experiences.

Realizing all this truth about myself, I realized that I could easily accomplish my professional goal because  it did not matter if I was female, white, or from the midwest, if I were placed in a classroom of students that shared no ethnicity or background as me, that was okay.  I know this would be fine because ultimately, as long as I found a way to make my content meaningful to my students, that was all that mattered.  At the end of the day, of course I want to feel that I have learned something new, but as long as my students have developed upon themselves and grown, that is really what matters.
I understand that interacting with those of different backgrounds can be difficult but, as long we can find some common denominator, then already, we become slightly less different.  For my professional goal, that common denominator for my students might be music, but if not, then something else.  In my personal life, all I can do is try to be open to new people and things and respectful if still a denominator cannot be found.

I am very grateful to have been allowed to participate in this amazing immersion experience.  At first, to be honest, I was most excited about all of the amazing shows and performances and events I would be able to see and participate in.  After having come back to Wisconsin, however, I have experienced now how those experiences have impacted my life in a positive way.  I feel that I have developed and grown not only as a musician but more importantly as an educator, and most importantly as a human being.  In our music education classes, we talk about how music education is the expression of the human experience through music.  As each day passes, I see this creed to become more evident in my everyday life.  As I develop upon myself further, I hope to further experience this mantra to become a more holistic educator and person.

Cory Bristol

No comments:

Post a Comment