Tuesday, December 31, 2013

...It's almost time!

Hello everyone!  I'm typing this as I wait for three pieces of reed cane to soak, so I can tie them up into reed 'blanks'.  I do not want to have to tie any reeds in New York... Hopefully my current reeds won't change much when I get to the city, as there are much more interesting things to do besides making reeds.  I cannot wait for both of the lessons I have managed to set up with really accomplished musicians.  The first lesson is with Sherry Sylar, an oboist that plays with the New York Phil and teaches at Mannes School of Music and the second lesson is with Robert Botti, also a member of the New York Phil and he teaches at the Manhattan School of Music.  I'm really looking forward to seeing what they have to say about my playing.  I'm also hoping to hear from Elaine Douvas, one of my favorite oboists, who teaches at Juilliard.  Meeting her would totally make my trip!  Music aside, I hope I can make it to a few art museums, especially MOMA.  If anyone is also interested in fine art, let me know!  Attending all of the amazing shows will be spectacular, and the daily classes will provide so much knowledge.

I hope to learn A LOT, and I just don't mean about music.  My goal for this trip is to help me as a person become more independent and confident.  I have never done well in new, stressful situations and this experience, while overwhelming at times, will be very good for me.  I'm so glad that I have the support of such a wonderful group of people that I know I can count on.  Getting around the city will be a challenge, but I will learn, I will have fun, and I WILL have a fantastic time.  I know this trip will be an absolute blast and a huge learning experience.  I'm so grateful to get to go on this trip, and I look forward to learning more about my fellow cohort members!

See you all very soon,

Jonathan



No comments:

Post a Comment